Green Your Restaurant
The 2014 industry forecast from the National Restaurant Association states that 58% of consumers are likely to choose a restaurant based on its environmental sustainability efforts. Is your restaurant attracting those consumers?
The Center for Green Industries and Sustainable Business Growth hosted restaurateurs, food service workers, and farmers and suppliers on March 20th for the Green Your Restaurant: Go for the Gold! seminar to learn the sustainable practices of the food industry.
- Green restaurant operations
- Sustainable food sourcing
- Utilizing green products (chemicals, utensils, and to-go containers)
- Sustainable agriculture
- Marketing your efforts in sustainability
- Sustaining menu and food trends
- Cafe Phipps
- Parkhurst Dining
- Big Burrito Group
- The Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture
- The Duquesne Center for Green Industries and Sustainable Business Growth
- 70% of casual, family, fine, and fast casual restaurant operators say their customers are more interested in locally sourced items than they were 2 years ago. (2013 survey)
- The 2014 Top 3 menu trends for tableservice restaurants are 1) Locally sourced meat and produce, 2) Locally grown produce and 3) Environmental sustainability.
- An average 75% of restaurant operators purchased energy-saving light fixtures in 2012 and reduced their utility bills.
- Utilities represent 3-8% of a restaurants overall cost.
Click here for photos from the seminar!