Green Your Restaurant
The 2014 industry forecast from the National Restaurant Association states that 58% of consumers are likely to choose a restaurant based on its environmental sustainability efforts. Is your restaurant attracting those consumers?
The Center for Green Industries and Sustainable Business Growth invites restaurateurs, food service workers, and farmers and suppliers to join us for Green Your Restaurant: Go for the Gold! to learn how to turn sustainability into profitability for your business.
When: March 20th from 9AM to 12PM
Where: Duquesne University--Rockwell Hall, Room 505
Topics to be covered:
- Conserving energy and water, reducing waste, and recycling
- Sustainable food sourcing
- Utilizing green products (chemicals, utensils, and to-go containers)
- Sustainable agriculture
- Marketing your efforts in sustainability
- Label confusion
- Cafe Phipps
- Parkhurst Dining
- Big Burrito Group
- The Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture
- The Duquesne Center for Green Industries and Sustainable Business Growth
- 70% of casual, family, fine, and fast casual restaurant operators say their customers are more interested in locally sourced items than they were 2 years ago. (2013 survey)
- The 2014 Top 3 menu trends for tableservice restaurants are 1) Locally sourced meat and produce, 2) Locally grown produce and 3) Environmental sustainability.
- An average 75% of restaurant operators purchased energy-saving light fixtures in 2012 and reduced their utility bills.
- Utilities represent 3-8% of a restaurants overall cost.
Cost: $49 per attendee. Pennsylvania Restaurant and Lodging Association member rate is $30.
Light refreshments and breakfast will be available and there will be a raffle for 2 day passes to Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens.