The Wecht Institute is pleased to offer the following continuing education opportunities to relevant professionals attending this conference:
This program has been approved by the Pennsylvania CLE Board for twelve (12) hours of substantive CLE credit, 6 on each day. Attorneys may attend one or both days, either onsite or online. Out-of-state attorneys should check with their state CLE boards for approval status.
This program is co-sponsored by Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, and Duquesne University's Cyril H. Wecht Institute of Forensic Science and Law. Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic is approved by the American Psychological Association to offer continuing education credit for psychologists. Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic maintains responsibility for this program and its content. This program is being offered for 6.0 continuing education credits each day for a total of 12 credits. Please note that these credits are available via ONSITE attendance only.
Full tuition must accompany the form. A $25 administrative fee will be deducted from all refunds for cancellations. No refunds can be issued once the program has begun.
At the conclusion of this program, participants should be able to:
- describe deficiencies in competency evaluations
- discuss the value of coordinating clinical with legal judgments
- explain how the Helping Families In Mental Health Crisis Act is expected to help fix the nation's broken mental health system
- discuss the insanity defense, its problems and shortcomings, and the ways in which neuroscience could be helpful to a reconstruction of legal insanity
- identify how to select and use forensic experts for the purposes of case investigation, witness preparation, presentation and/or defense;
- identify when and why to direct and/or cross-examine mental health experts on pivotal foundational elements of a particular case or defense
- execute the legal strategy or plan of action to ultimately persuade a fact finder under the circumstances with assistance of an expert (consultant/witness)
This program is offered for 12 hours of social work continuing education credit through co-sponsorship of the University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work, a Council on Social Work Education-accredited school and, therefore, a PA pre-approved provider of social continuing education. These credit hours satisfy requirements for LSW/LCSW, LPC and LMFT biennial license renewal. For information on social work continuing education, call 412.624.3711. Please note that these credits are available via ONSITE attendance only.
In partnership with the Duquesne University School of Nursing, the Institute is offering a total of 12 Continuing Education Units for Pennsylvania Nurses. Nurses may attend individual days for partial credit of 6 hours per day.
If you have any questions regarding continuing education credits or how to claim them, please contact a member of the Institute's staff.