What Qualifications do I need for PMHPP?
Incoming freshman students must meet the following requirements to be accepted into PMHPP when completing the inital application to the University:
- Minimum of 1170 SAT (math + critical reading) or 26 ACT
- High school GPA of at least a 3.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Admitted to an academic major at the University
How do I Apply?
A qualified freshman should check the appropriate box on the application when applying to the University to be reviewed for admission into the program. The secondary admission process is open at the end of each semester. Current students should talk to their advisor about their intent to apply.
Incoming transfer students who enter the University before the junior year must meet the following requirements to be accepted into the UG-PMHPP when making initial application to the University:
- Minimum of 3.00 overall GPA from previous institution(s)
- Minimum 3.00 science/math and science GPAs from previous institution(s)
- Earned a minimum of a "C" grade in all science, math and psychology/social science courses from previous institutions
- Be in good standing at previous institution
- Admitted to an academic major at Duquesne University
Any student applying to the PMHPP as an incoming transfer student after August 2015 will be required to have a minimum overall, science/math, and science GPA of 3.25
For students who did not initially meet the freshmen entrance requirements or students who decide to pursue medicine or health professions at a later time may apply through the Program's secondary admissions process. Applications are accepted by May 1 for the fall term, and by December 1 for the spring term. Please see the chart below for the explanation regarding the FINAL deadlines to apply to the PMHPP based on intended discipline area:
|Students interested in pursuing:||Degree Program length at Duquesne||Latest Application deadline|
May 1 of 2nd year
May 1 of 3rd year
May 1 of 4th year
December 1 of 3rd year
December 1 of 4th year
December 1 of 4th year
Students are encouraged to apply as soon as they are qualified to benefit from all advisement, counsel, professional instruction and services provided by the UG-PMHPP. Acceptance and continued enrollment require students to meet specific academic and professional behavior standards as outlined in the PMHPP Handbook.
Admission requirements for secondary admits applying for Spring 2016 and beyond:
- Minimum of 3.25 overall GPA
- Minimum 3.25 science/math GPA and science GPA with at least a "C" in all science, math and psychology/social science courses
- Be in good standing at Duquesne and within respective School
In addition to the application and Math/Science worksheet, students are required to submit a resume that includes all experiences, but specifically highlights any medical experiences they have had. This should include all direct (shadowing, observation, volunteering) and indirect medical experiences, and the number of hours for each experience.
Students will be reviewed after each term to ensure they are maintaining the retention standards for PMHPP. For incoming students in FA/15 and prior, these standards are:
- Minimum overall 3.00 GPA
- Minimum 3.00 math/science GPA
- Minimum 3.00 semester GPA
- Minimum 3.00 science GPA
- Passing grades in all courses; passing grade is at the "C" level
- Be in good standing at the University, within their respective school, and with the PMHPP
For any PMHPP students enrolled after August 2015, the retention GPA standards for overall, math/science, semester and science GPA's will be a 3.00 for the first year of study, and a 3.25 for every semester thereafter.
Note: All standards are subject to change at any time and at the discretion of the PMHPP.