Back to top
Medical Absence Policy
- Duquesne's Health Service does not issue written medical excuses covering class absences or missed examinations.
- Students seen by Health Service should notify their advisor and professor(s) immediately after being seen.
- At the request of an instructor and with the permission of the student, the director of Health Service will verify a visit via telephone or E-mail.
- In the event a student becomes hospitalized, a Health Service staff member will notify the advisor and give an approximate length of stay.
- Following an illness, students must contact their advisor and professors for make-up work and assignments.
- Maintaining the confidentiality of all Health Service patients is critical and required by University policy.
- At no time will the diagnosis of the patient be revealed to parents, faculty or staff without the patient's written consent.
- Health Service will make every attempt to facilitate communication between students and professors regarding absences.
- Students have primary responsibility for notifying professors of mild, non-acute, non-critical absences.