Ways We Help Student Writers
Writing is a complex process, and the Writing Center’s consultants understand that it can be challenging at any stage. We’re here to help!
The Writing Center is not an editing or proofreading service. Consultants do not correct or complete your writing for you. They offer a teaching service. It is more effective if you learn from your mistakes, and we want to help you become more capable and confident in your writing.
A complete draft is not needed to visit. All you need is a writing task and a willingness to engage actively in conversation about your work.
Read our success stories and check out all the ways we can help you:
Individual Consulting Sessions
Our trained graduate and undergraduate student writing consultants offer one-on-one consulting sessions to writers free of charge. Coming prepared is the best way to get the most from a session. Bring in:
- any text you want to discuss, including course assignments, résumés, web sites, presentations, and other writing projects.
- writing at any stage of your writing process, from outlines and notes to drafts and revisions.
- texts from any discipline across campus.
- any writing project you wish to discuss, including non-school writing.
- an electronic copy of your work so you can revise during the session.
Appointment spots fill up quickly, so make an appointment. You may schedule up to 90 minutes per day. Even if appointment slots are available, you may not exceed 90 minutes of appointment time per day. You need to work on what you discuss in the session!
Graduate student consultants who specialize in English as a second language, science, business, and legal writing are available for appointments. Though availability is not guaranteed, you can schedule an appointment with one of these consultants. See the About the Center page for their names.
Distance education students can schedule an appointment for a session in our Online Writing Center.
Computer, Research, and Writing Resources
At its main location in 216 College Hall, the Writing Center has:
- computers available that you can use during sessions to revise papers, consult digital writing and research resources, and work on multimedia texts.
- a library of print research and writing resources, including citation manuals, grammar handbooks, and dictionaries.
- handouts on a wide variety of writing topics, including paraphrasing and summarizing, using commas and dashes, and APA and MLA citation.
We offer small-group workshops for students on writing topics. Past workshop topics include:
- MLA citation
- APA citation
- source use and integration
- professional writing
- paragraph development
Check out our upcoming workshops!
Through practical experience, orientation workshops, and ongoing professional development, the Writing Center provides student consultants, many of whom are preparing to be college faculty or secondary teachers, the opportunity to learn to be better teachers of writing. They gain experience working with writers one on one and presenting to classes and small groups on writing topics. We welcome applications from students interested in joining the staff.
We look forward to working with you!