The mission of the Palumbo Donahue School of Business is to prepare our students to achieve their full potential as ethical business professionals and community leaders with an understanding of the global context of business and its social impact. We accomplish this through passionate education, creative scholarship and the engagement of partners throughout the community. The business school creates a learning environment that enables our undergraduate students to:
- Develop cross-functional core business competencies;
- Develop an ethical and moral perspective on organizational behavior;
- Become better decision-makers through critical thinking, problem solving, and effective communication;
- Acquire a knowledge and appreciation of multi-cultural business environments; and
- Become life-long learners through intellectual discovery and professional and personal development.
- We add value for the greater good of our stakeholders by creating an environment of support for the intellectual pursuits of our faculty, a commitment to excellence in teaching, community outreach, and service.
Key Guiding Principles
Driven by its mission, the School of Business Administration has established the following key guiding principles:
- Appreciating that business education must be dynamic, continuously upgrade the curriculum to meet the rapidly changing needs of the students and the workplace.
- Continue our commitment to outstanding faculty performance, both in developing business knowledge (research) and in delivering that knowledge (teaching).
- Ensure the maximum use of technology by heavily integrating information technology into all course content and delivery, while providing state-of-the-art facilities equipped with the most sophisticated software.
- Espouse ethics as a winning characteristic of organizations that are successful over the long-term and promote a commitment to high standards and values among the Duquesne community.
- Recognizing that the business environment is unmistakably global, cultivate expanded opportunities for international study in distinguished foreign universities.
- Strongly encourage students to study abroad in order to develop a more global perspective.
- Continuously evolve a Mission Statement for our school that optimally guides our commitments to our various customer groups-students, parents, employers, benefactors, alumni and the community.
- The unending search for new and better ways to serve our students is a hallmark of the culture of our School of Business. Whether it is revising a program, renovating a facility, expanding the integration of technology, or creating a stronger international focus, the goal is continuous improvement and contemporary relevance.
The leaders of the 21st century must understand the complex global issues facing modern organizations and be proficient in the use and interpretation of data generated by the most up-to-date technology. They must maintain an interdisciplinary approach to problem solving and develop strong communication skills. It is the mission of the A.J. Palumbo School of Business Administration to prepare our students to meet these challenges.