Intercollegiate Project Management Triathlon
5th Annual Inter-Collegiate Project Management Triathlon
March 28-30, 2014
Palumbo Donahue School of Business
Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
The Inter-Collegiate Project Management Triathlon is an undergraduate level competition hosted by Duquesne University. This event tests the competitors' knowledge of the PMBOK® Guide and their responses to case-based scenarios.
The Palumbo Donahue School of Business competition is open to all undergraduate students. There are three competitive events where the participants can showcase their knowledge.
The year's Intercollegiate Project Management Triathlon features a keynote presentation from the Energy Innovation Center (EIC). The mission of the EIC is to contribute to socially responsible workforce development, foster energy and sustainable technology advancement, and assist in job creation through a commitment to diversity, innovation and comprehensive education. The EIC plans a 6.6-acre urban complex, designed and equipped by corporate partners, devoted to promoting energy-sector research and innovation and creating direct and deliberate bridges to job creation, entrepreneurship and urban economic revitalization. While the EIC's facilities are under development and construction, the organization is actively working with employers and educators to identify, structure and deploy industry-informed education and training programs that advance the skills and knowledge of incumbent workers and meet the needs of those individuals seeking entry to the energy industry and related career paths. For more information regarding the Energy Innovation Center, visit www.eicpittsburgh.org.
- Team Quiz-Bowl: Teams of four students will compete in a Jeopardy-style event. All questions will be based on the PMBOK® Guide and at a difficulty level equivalent to that necessary to achieve the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM®) designation. (The form of the questions will be fill-in-the-blank or short answer.)
- Individual "All-Star" Quiz-Bowl: This is also a Jeopardy-style event, to be played exclusively by individuals, and it will follow a similar format to the Team Quiz-Bowl. Participants will be selected based upon the degree of knowledge s/he has shown in their individual performance in the team event.
- Quick Fire Team Challenge: During the competition weekend, teams of four participants will be given a project management scenario and asked to develop and submit three work products. Teams will be evaluated on how well the team performs developing the work products. The same teams that participate in the Quiz Bowls will participate in the Quick Fire Challenge.
In between matches, participation in team building activities, which require physical and mental dexterity, is encouraged. These activities are designed to provide an opportunity to relax and have fun.
- Appalachian State University, Boone, NC
- Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana, PA
- Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI
- New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, NJ
- University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC
Quiz Bowl Question Bank and Question Delivery:
Velociteach (a project management publishing and training organization) has agreed to develop and deliver the questions. The Pittsburgh PMI® chapter membership is working with us and serving as judges in the event. Velociteach offers online training which will both prepare students for the IPMT and to sit for the CAPM® examination. Call for the university rates.
112 Townpark Drive, NW
Kennesaw, GA 30144
We will be using Novel Electronic Designs' (Chillicothe, Illinois USA) "1-2-3 buzzer lockout system". This system accurately identifies the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd players to press their buttons (no ties!). MS PowerPoint with also be available to support question presentation.
|Team 1 (4 Participants)||$1,000 (includes 1 coach)|
|Team 2 (4 Participants)||$750|
|Additional Participants||$200 (each)|
(All universities are limited to two teams)
Reduced rates are available.
For Questions or to Register, Please Contact:
Kathleen Hartzel, PhD, Event Director, Team Coach
Associate Professor of Information Systems Management
"PMI," "PMP," "CAPM," and "PMBOK" are registered marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
* Entrance fees do not include transportation or lodging. Meals are provided Friday evening through lunch on Sunday.