Individuals wishing to enroll in the graduate ESL program must meet the following requirements:
- Have earned a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in any area of study (students may enter the graduate ESL program from many different degree programs and a multitude of backgrounds).
- Possess a 3.0 GPA overall or on the most recent 48 credits.
- Have scored a minimum TOEFL score of 79 or a minimum IELTS score of 6.5 for international students.
- No GRE is required for this program.
To apply for the M.S. Ed., TESOL Certificate, or ESL Specialist Certificate Program:
- Complete the Duquesne University Online Application.
- Complete the ESL Program Application (includes letter of interest).
- If you are an international student, please visit the Office of International Programs for additional application procedures.
- Submit official TOEFL or IELTS scores (international students).
- Mail official transcripts for undergraduate and/or graduate course work to Kelly McGinley at:
School of Education Graduate Office
600 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15282
There is no application fee to apply online. Apply Today!
This program offers two tracks: Master's and Certification, or Certification Only. The Certification Only track is for students who do not need to complete the full Master's degree to be recommended for Pennsylvania certification, and is based on the recommendation of the Program Director. If you do plan on applying for the Certification Only track, please select the "ESL Specialist- Non-Degree" option on the Admissions Application. Please note that if you enroll in six credits or more per semester, you will still be eligible for the 25% scholarship, but will not be eligible for any federal loans because this is a non-degree track.