Basic Skills Testing Options
Mixed Score Option
You are required to pass the Basic Skills Tests for Sophomore Gateway and certification, you may combine reading, writing and mathematics module scores from different test providers to meet the basic skills requirements. You may use the composite score method to meet the requirement when you do well in one or two areas to compensate for a lower score in the other area. The composite score is the sum of all the passing scores. Use PDE's Composite Score Calculator when mixing tests. Note: When using the composite score, each test must meet or exceed the minimum score listed.
Effective March 2016, candidates may combine individual tests from different vendors to meet the basic skills requirement. The policy is retroactive for all open applications.
|SAT||Test & Passing Score||Passing Score||Minimum Composite Score|
SAT prior to March 1, 2016
(Score Range: 200-800)
|Composite SAT Test Score||1500|
SAT- after Feb. 29, 2016
(Score Range: 10-40)
|Writing and Language||28||26|
|Composite SAT Test Score||81|
|SAT Composite (March 1, 2016 and later only): If the sum of your reading, mathematics & writing modules total 81 or higher AND each module's score meets the minimum composite score above you meet the basic skills requirement.|
2. The American College Test (ACT)*
- Tests taken prior to September 2015 require a composite score of 23 accompanied by a combined English/Writing score of 22 or higher and a Math score of 21 or higher.
- Tests taken after September 2015 require separate scores of Reading - 22; Mathematics - 21; and Writing - 21.
|ACT||Minimum Score per Section||Passing Score||Minimum Composite Score|
|ACT - after August 31, 2015||Reading||22||20|
|Writing after Sept. 2016||8||7|
|Composite ACT Test Score||Sept. 2015- Aug. 2016||64|
|Sept. 2016 and later||51|
|ACT Composite: If the sum of your reading, mathematics & writing modules total 64 (for 9/2015 - 8/2016) or 51 (9/2016 or later) AND each module's score meet the minimum composite score you meet the basic skills requirement.|
*Request Official Test Scores - SAT or ACT
If Duquesne University did not receive your official test scores directly from the testing vendor, then scores must be obtained from College Board or ACT. Scores that were submitted to Duquesne via your high school transcript are not considered official, per PDE.
- Please follow the step-by-step instructions when contacting CollegeBoard or Act.
- Official test scores must be sent to the student in an envelope sealed by the vendor. Do not have them sent to Duquesne University.
- Students should forward their unopened, official scores to the Student and Academic Services office in 214 Canevin Hall, attention: Lisa Patrick.
3. PRAXIS/ETS CORE Academic Skills for Educators
As of June 20, 2014, PDE released a new option for an assessment of basic skills given by Educational Testing Services (ETS).
Scoring: Straight or Composite Methods
|ETS/CORE Academic||Test Number||Straight Passing Score||Minimum Composite Score|
Composite Score Method for CORE Tests: 460
If the sum of your reading, writing & mathematics modules total 460 or higher AND each module's score meets the minimum composite score above you meet the basic skills requirement.
4. Pre-service Academic Performance Assessments (PAPA)
- Scoring: Straight or Composite Methods
|PAPA||Test Number||Passing Score||Minimum Composite Score|
Composite Score Method for PAPA Tests: 633
If the sum of your reading, mathematics and writing modules total 633 or higher AND each module's socre meets the minimum composite score above you meet the basic skills requirement.
*A score of 174 from candidates accepted into an educator certification program prior to 8/31/2016.