Freshman Admission Criteria
The curriculum is six years for students admitted as a freshman. At the end of your fourth year you will graduate with two baccalaureate degrees; biology and health sciences. At the end of your sixth year, you will graduate with a Doctorate of Physical Therapy (DPT). There is no subsequent application required to begin the professional coursework in physical therapy. The Office of Admissions will review your application for freshman admission based on the following guidelines:
- A GPA of 3.0 or better
- A composite SAT score (Math + Verbal) of 1100 or better or a composite ACT of 24 or better.
- Documentation of shadowing, volunteer, or paid experience in physical therapy (40 hours to be completed before the start of the freshman year).
- Graduate of an approved secondary school
- Eight units of math and science
- Algebra I,
- Algebra II
- Calculus - recommended but not required
- General Science
- Physics - recommended but not required
If you have not completed four years of high school, you must submit a High School Equivalency Diploma issued by their state department of education.
Please be advised that the application deadline for freshmen is December 1st. No applications will be accepted after that date.
All RSHS programs have an intensive science component; if you believe you do not have a strong background in Algebra, and Chemistry please seriously consider taking college preparatory courses particularly College Algebra/Trigonometry/Pre-calculus.
If you do not meet the above criteria, you may still be considered for admission, based upon the quality of your overall application.
Matriculation into the professional coursework
If you are admitted as a freshman, you will automatically enter the professional phase of education (Year 4). Therefore, there is no subsequent application required to begin the professional coursework in physical therapy, although there are several requirements you must meet during your first three years.
- Achieve a 3.0 cumulative GPA by the end of spring semester Year 3
- Achieve 2.75 cumulative GPA in pre-requisite course work, with no less than C grade in all prerequisite courses. Prerequisite courses are:
- Biology I and II
- Chemistry I and II
- Physics I and II
- Introduction to Biostatistics
- Introduction to Psychology
- Completion of 100 hours of volunteer, paid or shadowing hours with a licensed PT (40 hours prior to admission are counted toward this 100 hours).
- Volunteer/shadowing must be evenly divided between two different areas of physical therapy practice
- Verification of all Pre-Health Requirements
- Current physical examination
- Verification of Health Insurance
- CPR certification
- Undergraduate Admission Curriculum