The KidsVoice Program provides students with an on-site externship at a renowned 501(c)(3) organization (started in 1908 and previously known as the Legal Aid Society of Pittsburgh) that provides legal representation to abused, neglected, and at-risk children. The program begins with extensive training. Each student is then paired with an experienced mentor attorney and teamed with in-house child advocacy specialists. Cases primarily involve the representation of children victimized in child abuse and neglect proceedings involving the Allegheny County Office of Children, Youth and Families. Students accepted into the program appear in court on behalf of the child-clients.
- Yearlong Pass/Fail Course
- Credits: 6 Credits (3 classroom credits, 3 non-classroom credits)
- Prerequisite: Evidence
- Enrollment: 8 Students
- Clinic Hours to Be Completed: 280 Hours (minimum of 10 hours per week)
- Class Meeting Time: Thursday, 4:00 p m - 5:40 p.m., with the balance of hours at any time during normal business hours. Commitment of one full day per week.
- Class Location: KidsVoice, 437 Grant Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Students are interviewed by the supervising attorney for admission to the program.
Scott Hollander, Esq.
Learn more about externships at Duquesne University School of Law.