It is the tradition of Duquesne University as well as proper etiquette for ALL graduates to wear only the approved Duquesne University School of Law J.D. Hood and Cords as provided by Duquesne University's approved vendor, Herff Jones Inc. Graduates may not wear a hood or cords from any current Law School Organization, including honor cords from any institution where a Bachelor, Masters, or Ph.D. was received.
While the official colors of Duquesne Univerisity are blue and red, black and purple are the main colors you will see at Duquesne Law School's commencement ceremony. Purple is the color of law. Graduates' tams and robes are black with a hood that is purple and black on one side and blue and red on the other.
The purchase price for graduation regalia is $178.76 ( includes custom tam, tassel, gown and tax). The last day to order graduation regalia from the University Bookstore is Tuesday, April 8, 2014 by 5:00 p.m. to ensure prompt delivery. Orders placed after that date will be charged a $20 late fee.
Cap & Gown Pickup - In order to receive your regalia from Duquesne University's Barnes & Noble bookstore, you must present your clearance card from the School of Law Career Services' Office to one of their representatives. (See Graduate Responsibilities Tab for more information)
Dress - Most graduates wear business-like attire under their robes. Low heels are recommended.
Juris Doctor Hoods: All graduates are vested with the Juris Doctor Hood by a faculty member on stage when the degree is awarded. When receiving your hood, please turn and face the audience so the faculty member can place your hood over your head.
Hoods may be purchased from Herff Jones, Inc. and the University Bookstore for $57.76 or $167.99 (prices include tax). The price difference is due to the quality of the material.
Hoods may be rented from the Duquesne University School of Law for a deposit of $250 (check only) beginning on March 13, 2014. The final day to place a deposit for a rental hood is May 23, 2014. Hoods should be returned to the University Bookstore no later than Friday, June 6, 2014 for the $250 deposit check to be returned to you. After June 6, 2014, return the hoods to the Main Office. Failure to return rental hoods will result in a hold placed on transcripts and $250 added to financial debt and obligation to Duquesne University.
The School of Law will give every graduate one packet of five graduation announcements at no charge. Announcements will be available for pickup at the Main Office beginning March 13, 2014.
Graduation Responsibilities: Participation in the graduation ceremony is mandatory for all graduating law students.
- The Law School's Registrar's Office will prepare Clearance Cards for all graduating students.
- You must have a $0.00 student account balance by May 9, 2014 to receive your clearance card for graduation.
- After tuition accounts are cleared, Career Services will distribute all Clearance Cards.
- Clearance cards must be presented to a Barnes & Noble representative to pick up regalia at the University Bookstore, available after May 12, 2014.
- No Degree will be conferred, nor any transcript released, until all financial obligations are paid in full including tuition, library fines and parking fines.
Lockers: Lockers must be cleaned out after graduation. The University Bookstore and the Law School are not responsible for any contents found wtihin any lockers after graduation.
Email, Dori and Banner accounts: As a courtesy to graduates of Duquesne University, the University will continue to maintain your "duq.edu" email account, Blackboard and Dori access for 1 year after graduation.
Parking will be provided in the Locust Street and Forbes Avenue Parking garages. Special needs parking requests must call the Parking Office at 412.396.5267 no later than May 28, 2014.
- Mass will be held at 9:00 a.m. in the University Chapel, Administration Building. A continental breakfast will follow in the William Patrick Power Center Ballroom. Graduates do not need to robe for Commencement Mass.
- All graduates must be in the auxillary gym on the first floor of the A.J. Palumbo Center by 10:15 a.m. for robing and line-up.
- Graduates should enter the A.J. Palumbo Center at the (Music School Side) Magee Street entrance - Gate B. Family members and guests must enter at the Forbes Avenue entrance where they will receive a Commencement program. Doors will open no earlier than10:00 a.m.
- All graduates who rented a hood from the Duquesne Universtiy School of Law will receive the hood in the auxillary gym at the time of preparation for the graduation ceremony.
- All graduates who purchased a hood from the Duquesne University Barnes & Noble Bookstore will be notified when pickup is available (approximately May 12, 2014).
- All purchased and/or rental hoods should be placed over the left arm when preparing for the graduation procession into the arena.
- Tassels should be placed on the left side.
If you are leaving town on Sunday, June 1, 2014, please return the rental hood to the University Bookstore by 3:00 p.m. Rental hoods must be returned to the University Bookstore no later than Friday, June 6, 2014. Your $250 check will be returned to you at that time. After June 6, 2014, return the hoods to the Main Office. If you fail to return the rental hood, a transcript hold will be placed on your account and $250 will be added to your financial debt and obligation to Duquesne University.
Ceremony Photography: A photographer will be present at the ceremony to take photographs of your special moment of recognition. Prints may be ordered from Chuck Orton Photography.
Diploma Framing: Law School Diploma frames are available at the University Barnes & Noble Bookstore.