Laptop Exams: Preliminary Computer Maintenance
Students are strongly encouraged to perform the following maintenance on their computers prior to installing the new ExamSoft/SofTest software:
- Ensure that the computer meets the minimum requirements found at https://www.examsoft.com/duq (icon located on the top right corner of the page). The Law School IT department recommends at least Windows 7 and above or MAC OS x10.6 or higher
**NEW** - Adjust your Power Management Schemes to "Never" and do not enable Hibernate. See Power Management for instructions.
- Ensure that the latest virus software updates and definitions are installed and have been run.
- Ensure that the latest High Priority updates for Microsoft Windows have been installed.
- Ensure that the computer’s hard disk is working properly by performing hard disk optimization or defragmentation check
- Ensure that the computer is configured for the DuqNet wireless network. Students are responsible for configuring DuqNet on their own computers. This will need done each time you change your Multipass Password (about every 90 days) Follow http://duq.edu/about/campus/computers-and-technology/network/duqnet-wireless-overview for instructions. Please contact the CTS HelpDesk if you have questions with the wireless setup or wireless connection (412-396-4357)
- WARNING for XP systems: Only XP 32-bit edition is supported by this software (not 64-bit). Follow Which Version Do I Have if you are unsure what you are currently using. Also, because of the age of this version, it is highly recommended that you upgrade your computer or try to borrow one with a more current operating system. Remember this is the same software you will be using for the PA Bar exam. Upgrades to Windows 7 are available at the Duquesne Computer Store (412-396-5645) for about $150 and can usually be performed same-day with an early start.
- UNINSTALL ANY PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF Securexam SOFTWARE USED PRIOR TO FALL 2012
- OPTIONAL: Remove any unused exam SofTest files: Open the software and press, PC users CTLR/F3 MAC users CMD/F3 or Fn/CMD/F3, select the file you wish to remove and click on "Clear Dowloaded Exams".
Additional support can be found on the ExamSoft web site at www.support.examsoft.com or calling Exam Taker Support (866) 429-8889
The maintenance outlined above will help ensure that the computer is in good general working order. It will also help prevent any problems while you are taking an exam.
Start Early and DO NOT SKIP these maintenance steps each semester!