Coaching Program Outcomes
"Be prepared to have an excellent personal growth experience as well as learning a set of coaching skills that you can put to use in all areas of your life. It was the tipping point for starting my own nonprofit consultation and executive coaching business."
Mary Kwiatkowski, President and CEO of MEK Solutions LLC
Participants will learn how to coach people within organizations (internal coaching) or in a private practice (external coaching). After completing this program, students will:
- Be positioned to enter the field of professional coaching;
- Understand and articulate the unique purpose of coaching and the coaching relationship;
- Understand and apply the Duquesne coaching model and the core assumptions of coaching;
- Demonstrate competency in the primary coaching skills: laser focus on client; listening deeply; curiosity; asking powerful questions; embodying coaching presence; fostering learning, and inspiring action;
- Demonstrate proficiency in developing trust and intimacy in a coaching relationship;
- Be skillful in maintaining professional ethics and standards;
- Be practiced in applying self-awareness and self-knowledge in the context of the coaching process;
- Develop a Coaching Application Plan and Strategy (CAPS) that includes a vision and plan for putting coaching skills into practice personally and professionally; and
- Explore current coaching research and professional development opportunities.
Special Opportunity for Credit Toward a Master's Degree
Students who successfully complete Duquesne's Professional Coach Certification Program are eligible to receive academic credit toward several graduate programs in SLPA. Depending on the program selected, students can enter with up to six credits toward a master’s degree!
"I am using my new coaching skills both at work and in my personal life. An important improvement is that I listen more intently to my children and grandchildren without interjecting my own opinions unless asked."
Kathy Rebholz, Academic Advisor, Duquesne University