MS in Leadership, Concentration in Liberal Studies
A liberal education... frees a man from the prison-house of his class, race, time, place, background, family and even his nation.
- Robert M. Hutchins
Curiosity has always been one of your best qualities. You're interested in many different subjects. That's why you've decided to find a graduate program that will both provide the skills to enhance your career while learning about the ideas and behaviors of influential historical thinkers, leaders, and movements that shaped the world we live in today. You understand the power of synthesizing insights and lessons from various disciplines to provide an impressive and multi-faceted lens through which to address and solve complex challenges on the job.
The Leader in Leadership Education
The Master of Science in Leadership, concentration in Liberal Studies (MLLS) focuses on the significance of integrity and social responsibility for today's leaders. Students expand their intellectual horizons through exploration of the ideas and behaviors of prominent historical thinkers and global figures. Principal areas of focus include morality, spirituality, ethics, and cultural awareness as they greatly impact, motivate, and influence leaders. Through analysis and comparison to contemporary leaders, movements, and theories, students develop a panoramic perspective of leadership, enabling them to be better leaders in a diverse world.
Through the MLLS program you will
- Gain goal-oriented teamwork and teambuilding skills
- Enhance your coaching skills for improving the performance of others
- Learn how to embrace change in a rapidly-changing organization and external environment
- Bring more solutions than problems to the forefront to improve efficiency
- Develop a well-learned perspective of the social, economic and political issues that impact varied organizations
- Enhance your ability to communicate with all levels of workers in an organization, from the colleague- to management-level
- Adopt and implement new and creative perspectives on organizational issues
- Embrace individual responsibility and ethics as keys to your success
Core Focuses of the Liberal Studies Concentration
The Liberal Studies concentration emphasizes integrity and social responsibility, two values which are essential for today's leaders to espouse. In studying leadership from the liberal arts perspective, students will better understand the approaches of our world's greatest thinkers, all the while engaging in self-assessment and leadership development. To prepare for success in modern organizations, MLLS students study a specialized collection of topics including:
- Humanist Studies
- Leadership Ethics
- Social, Political and Economic Issues
- Conflict Resolution
- Managing Relationships
- Workforce Diversity
- Additional leadership-enhancing courses
A varied approach to leadership training is essential for the success of the modern professional. That's why this liberal studies program is so beneficial. Students gain a well-rounded understanding of the diverse needs of people, the roles that external factors play in leadership effectiveness, and how to effectively communicate on the organizational level. For more information about Duquesne's School of Leadership and Professional Advancement Liberal Studies concentration, please read the brochure below.