Master of Science in Leadership
In the Master of Science in Leadership (MSL) program, students will be able to:
- Apply current theories and practice about organizational and personal leadership in a professional setting.
- Design and implement both formal and informal leadership development programs.
- Effectively express and support ideas in a variety of written and oral forms
- Understand the nature and practice of ethical leadership, communicate its value, and implement its practice
- Appreciate and navigate the complex interrelationships among various personal, financial, economic, political and social environments.
- Demonstrate an ability to work effectively with diverse individuals, groups and organizations
Success is important to you. What makes you unique is that it's not all about your personal success. What you find really rewarding is helping others to succeed. Watching a person's face when they master a challenging task or learn to do something that has given them trouble is satisfying in a way that's hard for you to describe but incredible to experience. That's why you want a career that allows you to help others set goals, coach them to be their best, overcome their challenges and encourage and reward them in their triumphs. And when helping the individuals around you to succeed leads to organizational success, it just doesn't get much better than that.
Leadership skills are essential for all levels of an organization and across all sectors. The best leaders are those who:
- Display and utilize their own leadership
- Bring out leadership in everyone around them
- Help others contribute fully to the organization
Everyone knows that in many sectors, professionals need a certain specialization such as engineering, accounting or technology. Beyond that, though, they need leadership skills to build effectiveness in their organizations and advance their careers. Those skills include organizational communication, critical thinking, decision making, problem solving and conflict resolution.
To achieve those objectives, the program offers a core group of leadership courses while also providing the flexibility students want and need to tailor their program by selecting from a wide range of graduate courses and specific areas of interest:
Program Structure Options That Work With Your Life
This 30-credit master's degree program is available entirely online. Even so, you'll have access to learning resources and support services including the Duquesne University Library, online writing center, and contact with faculty and advisors. From day one, you'll join a peer-learning network of people from the community as well as corporate, nonprofit, government and military sectors. As a graduate you'll join a network of more than 81,000 active alumni located around the globe.
The academic year is structured with three semesters per year: a 15-week term in fall and spring and an eight-week term in summer. If you take two courses for the fall, spring and summer semesters, the degree can be completed in two years.
"When you are a person of influence, people look to you for cues and clues. We all know people who make the workplace better and brighter just by showing up. They combine realism and pragmatism with hope and a relentlessly positive outlook. And we want to be a part of that person's team."
- Jill Geisler