Humane Leadership Major
The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi
Are you extremely dedicated to your work with animals but lack the academic credentials that can allow you to advance your career in the field?
Do you want to enhance the overall level of professionalism and efficiency in your shelter?
Humane Leadership Program Overview
Several universities offer programs that provide insights into the leadership skills necessary to succeed. But leadership in the animal advocacy field requires unique knowledge and skills. That is why Duquesne University added the humane leadership major to the programs offered. The Humane Leadership program is a full major positioned on equal footing with other areas of the School of Leadership and Professional Advancement.
In designing the program, our faculty listened to professionals working in the field and to those interested in pursuing necessary education to advance their careers. The resulting accelerated online degree program is designed specifically for those currently working, or seeking to work, in animal care and protection.
Whether your interests lie in animal advocacy or shelter management, the Humane Leadership program provides a solid educational foundation to transform your passion and commitment into an effective response.
When you enter the program, you will join animal professionals such as control officers, humane educators, shelter managers, veterinary technicians and animal care volunteers as part of a large and growing network. Together, you will be working to push these important issues to the forefront in locations nationwide.
By combining elements of leadership, humane management and nonprofit basics, the Humane Leadership major provides groundwork on the history and philosophies of the specialty as well as current challenges in the field.
Through the Humane Leadership Major, students learn to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the principles, strategies and resources essential to humane leadership
- Create programs to educate about, assist and advocate for animals
- Manage fundraising and financial management functions of shelter operations
- Deal with human resource responsibilities involving paid employees and volunteer staff
- Develop and implement effective community education and outreach initiatives
- Handle the psychological and emotional challenges that result from the intense care-giving required in animal shelter work
Humane Leadership Program Core Courses
It takes dedication and compassion to work in a field devoted to animal wellbeing. Each Humane Leadership student therefore learns to put the best interests of animals first through twelve major-specific courses. Some of these include:
- Humane Education - This course allows students to develop a firm grasp on the theory of humane animal treatment. Discussions focus on such topics as empathy, gender difference in behavior towards animals and the relationship between humane and environmental education.
- Animal Health and Behavior - Students in this course are educated on health issues regarding shelter animals. Discussion topics vary widely, some of which include vaccination policies, nutrition and coordination with health agencies.
- Animal Protection - Students in this course learn about the ever-growing animal protection movement. Discussions focus in on topics like educational initiatives, protests and related laws.
Sound like the program for you? If so, we hope you'll join us. Even if you already have a bachelor's degree, you may take a minimum of 6 humane leadership major courses and earn a post-baccalaureate certificate that sets you apart from your competition.
Not able to commit to this accelerated online degree program right now? Stay in-the-know by connecting with the Humane Leadership Program! For more information, contact us at 800.283.3853 or firstname.lastname@example.org.