The Center for Women's and Gender Studies
Based in the humanities and social sciences, the Center for Women's and Gender Studies (WGS) offers:
Coursework in Women's and Gender Studies can lead to:
An Inter-/Multi-Disciplinary Center
The Center introduces students to rapidly expanding areas of scholarship focused upon gender and sexuality. These are transforming virtually every academic discipline today. Through a multi- and inter-disciplinary program of study, students will explore how:
- People's experiences within history, society, and culture are shaped by their gendered positions
- Gender positions shape people's responses to experiences
- Institutions and structures of power relate to people as gendered beings
- Women's and gender studies has influenced scholarship over the last 30 years
- Focusing on women and gender suggests ways to rethink other scholarly fields or disciplines.
The Center for Women's and Gender Studies participates in Duquesne University's mission to provide intellectual breadth as well as a moral and ethical foundation for students' lifelong personal and professional growth by promoting open dialogue directed toward a vision of a world community that embraces diversity, justice, peace and freedom - values central to a liberal education.