Established in 2003, The purpose of this organization is to bring together students of the International Relations major in order to discuss current issues and to organize events related to department. In the past, this student-led club has organized guest speakers, service opportunities, game nights, and more. All students are welcome regardless of major, class standing, or GPA.
IR CLUB 2015
Duquesne University's chapter of Sigma Iota Rho, Epsilon Chi (EX), was started in January 2014 by an IR junior in collaboration with the director of the Center for International Relations. The purpose of Sigma Iota Rho is to promote and reward scholarship and service among students and practitioners of international studies, international affairs, and global studies and to foster integrity and creative performance in the conduct of world affairs.
Undergraduate members are the driving force behind the success of the chapter. It is their energy and commitment combined with the experience of the faculty advisor that help fulfill the mission of Sigma Iota Rho. In order to qualify for undergraduate membership, students must meet the following criteria:
• Completed course work in international studies including courses in relevant subject areas of anthropology, economics, foreign languages, geography, history, political science, and other related disciplines;
• Attained a junior standing and completed at least twenty-one (21) hours of course work toward the International Relations major or minor, including at least two courses at the 300 or 400 levels;
• Attained a cumulative grade point average of 3.3 or higher in all courses, and a grade point average of at least 3.4 in international relations courses;
• Must maintain full-time student status of at least twelve (12) hours to be a voting member or hold an office;
• Eligible students in the international relations program who meet the criteria listed above will receive an invitation to join the Epsilon Chi chapter;
• For questions on eligibility criteria, email the Center for International Relations' office at IR@duq.edu
• Induction Package: Certificate Attesting Membership, copy of the latest issue of the nationally distributed Journal of International Relations, and Graduation Regalia (Honor Cord and Pin; stole is sold separately);
• Opportunity to get your work published in the Journal of International Relations;
• Eligibility to apply for SIR Funding opportunities;
• Access to professional networks through our Internship Database;
• Networking ability through our Sigma Iota Rho LinkedIn page.
Each student who joins our chapter will be required to contribute a $45.00 fee for member inception. This fee includes the Sigma Iota Rho Certificate upon induction, a SIR lapel pin, graduation regalia (honor cords are included-- stoles inscribed with "SIR" are available for an additional fee), a copy of S.I.R.'s Journal of International Relations, occasional newsletters, and access to professional networks.
Eligible students in the international relations program will be invited to join.
April 5, 2016 - Joseph Caraway, Andrea Lisky, Patricia O'Neill, Michael Rynearson, Nicholas Valvano.
May 1, 2015 - Miller Jessie, Pujol Christopher, Stockdell Dara, Strnisa Travis, Thompson Megan, Watchek Emily, Wolinsky Sarah.
January 29, 2015 - Hoffman Kristin, Johnston Desiree, Wallace Brandon, Oeler Mitchell.
April 28, 2014 - Marisa Bopp, Catherine Darden, Leonor Gomes, Conor Kane, Molly Kirwan, Stephanie Mullen, Alex Shanahan, Brooke Tenison.
The undergraduate Model European Union is an annual event that gives students a chance to learn about the workings of the European Union through preparation for and participation in a hands-on two day simulation. Model EU enhances students' understanding of the issues and challenges facing the 28 member nations of the EU. Awards are given to the most effective delegations and best individual position papers.
2016 - The 2016 Model EU was held at the University of Pittsburgh-Greensburg on February 26-27, 2016
2016 Model EU delegations
2016 Model EU - pictures
2016 Undergraduate Model EU Awardees