Internships and Careers
A great way to gain practical job experience is with an internship. Recent undergraduate mathematics and computer science students obtained internships with the following companies.
- Argonne National Lab - Argonne, IL
- Bechtel Plant Machinery - Monroeville, PA
- BurghSoft - Pittsburgh, PA
- CORE - Pittsburgh, PA
- Ernest & Young - Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
- Highmark, Inc. - Pittsburgh, PA
- Imagine Careers - Pittsburgh, PA
- Intel - Hillsboro, OR
- Kennametal - Latrobe and Pittsburgh, PA
- Lockheed Martin - Philadelphia, PA
- Management Science Associates - Pittsburgh, PA
- Mercer - Louisville, KY
- PNC Financial Services - Pittsburgh, PA
- PPG Industries - Pittsburgh, PA
- St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, (POE) Program - Memphis, TN
- Thermo Fisher Scientific - Pittsburgh, PA
- Trademark Vision - Pittsburgh, PA
- University of Colorado (REU) - Colorado Springs, CO
- University of Texas Medical Branch - Galveston, TX
Graduates of our degree programs have been admitted with assistantships to a number of excellent doctoral programs in mathematics, including those at the University of Illinois at Chicago, George Washington University, Virginia Tech, Lehigh University, Ohio State University, University of Minnesota, University of California at Santa Barbara and University of Iowa.
Skill in mathematics is also valued in today's work world. Many Duquesne mathematics graduates with dual degrees in education are employed as teachers at the secondary level. Math students who also have studied business now work in finance, actuarial science and corporate tax services at Xerox, Liberty Mutual and other organizations.
Visit Duquesne's Career Services for more information on
- skills you will acquire as a mathematics major;
- potential careers you'll be qualified to begin;
- types of employers offering these careers;
- strategies to enhance your marketability for various careers.