The Department offers a Minor in Gerontology to all majors, as well as students and para-professionals outside the Department.
To earn the Minor in Gerontology, the student must complete SOCI 101: Survey of Sociology, SOCI 203: Sociology of Aging and three of the following courses:
- 106: Social Problems and Social Policy
- 207: Sociology of Health and Illness
- 214: Helping Process
- 219 Intro to Human Services
- 225: Family System
- 315: Socialization and the Life Course
- 408: Population
- 411: Aging and Mental Health
- 415: Health, Illness and Social Policy
- 441/541 Health Care Ethics and Public Policy
- 450: Fieldwork
To apply for the Minor, students need to complete the application form (also available from the Sociology Department Office, 504 College Hall) in conjunction with an interview with:
Dr. Michael Irwin
504A College Hall
Please email Dr. Irwin to arrange a meeting time.
After recieving official permission of the Sociology Department students must also officially register for the Gerontology Minor following the guidelines for their School.