RECEPTION HISTORY OF THE BIBLE
The need for crossing the conventional boundaries of these scholarly areas is generally recognized. It has often been noted that special attention should be paid to the way in which biblical texts have been "received" along the centuries, and to the inter-relation, during the formative centuries of the Christian religion, between biblical interpretation, articulation of doctrine and worship, and various forms of artistic expression.
Wirkungsgeschichte (usually rendered "history of effects" or "reception history" or "history of interpretation") has established itself as a legitimate part of biblical scholarship. In many ways, however, this method is still in its infancy. It is the aim of the Colloquium on the Reception History of the Bible at Duquesne University to bring about greater methodological clarity and refinement to this approach, and to fill the need for concrete exegetical work illustrating the contribution of the reception-historical method in biblical studies.
In due time, we hope to assemble a data-base of resources (bibliographies, conferences, editorial events) for students and scholars of biblical reception history.
Duquesne University Colloquium on Biblical Reception History
Two colloquia were organized by our Department of Theology, in 2009 and 2010.
You can view the topics and speakers here.
Resources for the stuy of Biblical Reception History
- Centre for Reception History of the Bible, Oxford University (http://www.crhb.org/)
- The Bible and Its Interpretation, University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign (https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/cdwright/www/bible.html)
- The Encyclopedia of the Bible and Its Reception, de Gruyter (http://www.degruyter.de/cont/fb/th/thEbrEn.cfm)
- Novum Testamentum Patristicum, Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht (http://www.v-r.de/en/series/531)
- Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture, IV Press (http://www.ivpress.com/accs/)
- The Church's Bible, Eerdmans (http://www.eerdmans.com/series/cb.htm)
- The Bible in Ancient Christianity, Brill (http://www.brill.nl/bac)
- Biblia Pauperum on the Internet (http://amasis.com/biblia/)
- BIBLINDEX:citations et allusions scripturaires dans la littérature d'époque patristique (http://www.sources-chretiennes.mom.fr/index.php?pageid=biblindex)
- La Bible et les Bibles: histoire du texte des origines à l'époque patristique (http://www.sources-chretiennes.mom.fr/index.php?pageid=bible)
Journals of Interest
- Biblical Reception: here
- Journal of Theological Interpretation
- Pro Ecclesia
- Relegere: Studies in Religion and Reception
- Novum Testamentum
- Vigiliae christianae