Art History Major
All courses are 3 credit hours unless noted otherwise.
Curriculum: 31 credits*
Required Courses: 10 credits
- ARHY 111: Art History: Ancient-Medieval
- ARHY 112: Art History: Renaissance-Modern
- ARHY 311W: Writing History
- ARHY 400: Capstone Tutorial (1 credit)
Electives: 21 credits
- 3 credits at the 100-level or above
- 12 credits at the 200-level or above (3 credits must be in pre-1800 European Art)
- 3 credits at the 300-level
- 3 credits at the 400W-level
*Art History majors may take three credits of History to satisfy their elective requirements.
*Art History majors are permitted to take only three credits of a cross-listed Classics course.
*Art History majors are permitted to take only take three credits of an archaeology course.
View our entire listing of course descriptions to help you choose your electives.
Double Major with History (55 credits)
As undertaking a double major program, rather than simply pursuing two majors, may result in a more coherent course of study, the department has created the following options for students wishing to concentrate in the complementary fields of History and Art History. A double major in History and Art History is a particularly attractive option for those considering further studies and then a career in Public History.
Students have the option to complete the double major with History as their primary major or with Art History as their primary major.
Note: a student may still choose to do both majors independently, fulfilling all credit requirements in both (61 credits), instead of through the designated programs below.