Integrated Marketing Communication
What is Integrated Marketing Communication (IMC)
IMC is the strategic integration of communication to reach all business stakeholders, from customers to employees to the community. Advertising and public relations are critical functions of IMC, as are promotions, event planning, community relations, interactive strategies, and every communicative activity that connects an organization to its multiple and diverse audiences.
What courses will I take in this major?
As an IMC major, you will be introduced to functions and strategies of the integrated process through foundational courses in advertising and public relations. In addition, you will choose from a variety of courses that will enhance your understanding of a fully integrated approach to marketing communication: the advertising and public relations degree for the 21st century.
Courses available to you in this major include, but are not limited to:
- COMM 333 Integrated Marketing Comm. Functions II: Advertising
- COMM 433 Integrated Marketing Comm. Strategies II: Advertising
- COMM 330 Integrated Marketing Comm. Functions I: Public Relations
- COMM 430 Integrated Marketing Comm. Strategies I: Public Relations
- COMM 350 Communication and Community Relations
- COMM 204 Professional Communication in Integrated Marketing
- COMM 305 Undergraduate Research and Development I
- COMM 306 Undergraduate Research and Development II
- COMM 342 Environmental Communication
- COMM 387 Event Planning: Communication Architecture
- COMM 388 Corporate & Integrated Marketing Comm. Research
- COMM 436 Integrated Marketing Comm.: Coordinating Ad & PR
- COMM 438 Integrated Marketing Comm.: Interactive Strategies
- COMM 445 Nonprofit Development & Philanthropy Communication
Where can I intern or get a job?
The IMC degree is ideal for employment in advertising, public relations, and integrated marketing communication agencies, political campaigns, for-profit and nonprofit firms, and other venues. All IMC majors are encouraged to pursue one or more internships, both as a volunteer and as a for-credit experience. Internship opportunities are available year-round through our departmental Internship Office.