Fieldwork Experience: The Internship Program
Fieldwork (SOCI 450) is the course designation given to the internship program in the Sociology Department. It is designed to give students "real world" experience to complement and enhance their classroom studies. An academic component complements the work experience.
SOCI 450 is an option for all Sociology majors.
Placements are also available for students pursuing the Gerontology Certificate.
Senior Sociology majors may register for two semesters of Fieldwork and receive up to 12 academic credits. Juniors will be considered, based on credits completed toward the major.
After meeting with Dr. Linda Morrison, the Fieldwork coordinator, students are placed in an agency, business or professional setting which parallels their career interests. Some of the recent placements include but are not limited to:
- Allegheny County Juvenile Probation
- Allegheny County Department of Aging
- Allegheny County Children, Youth and Family Services (a paid placement)
- Police Departments in Mt. Lebanon, Bellevue, and Upper St. Clair
- Brashear Association
- Riverview Towers (Senior Housing)
- Center of Life, Community of Hazelwood
- Center for Victims of Violent Crime
- Contact Pittsburgh Crisis Line
- Prime Time Adult Day Care
- Goodwill Industries
- U.S. Postal Inspection Service
Students may also design a placement that reflects their individual interests and career goals.
Interested students should contact:
Dr. Linda Morrison
508 College Hall