Bachelor of Music in Music Technology
Students pursuing the B.M. in Music Technology learn cutting-edge techniques rooted in traditional and historic technologies. Regardless of each student's choice of concentration within the degree (sound recording, electronic composition, or electronic performance), all students combine applied music study with hands-on experience in multimedia labs and recording studios.
What Makes Duquesne's Music Tech Program Unique?
- Our faculty are nationally-acclaimed and have won multiple GRAMMY Awards
- Our students are performing musicians in addition to their technology studies. A variety of ensembles, including an Electronic Ensemble, are available to students in all majors
- Our music technology degree offers three concentrations - Sound Recording Technology, Electronic Composition, and Electronic Performance
- Our School is home to chapters of both the Audio Engineering Society and the Society of Composers, Inc.
- Our graduates succeed
A degree in Music Technology provides students advanced skills that set them apart from their contemporaries and helps foster a music career with multiple and diverse opportunities for professional success.
Our students have access to the a range of equipment to learn with, including a brand-new Solid State Logic AWS 948 recording console.
- Solid State Logic AWS 948 - 48 x 8 x 2 large format recording console
- Sony R7 Reverberator
- TC Electronics TC 2000
- TC Electronics M-One
- SPX 990
- DBX 266 Comp/Lims
- Symetric 522 Comp/Lim
- Otari Status 18 R Analogue Console
- Ampex ATR 100 Tape Recorder
- Otari MX 50/50 Tape Recorders and Editing Machines
- Tascam DM4800 Digital Console
- McIntosh Amp
- McIntosh Speakers
- JBL Surround Speakers
- Mini Moog
Each of our studios uses ProTools and Sequoia Digital Audio Workstations. In the Fender Electronic Studio, students can work on (list hottest programs in studio including the Mellotron, Finale, etc.), and there is Music Technology Lab that allows students to have access to these programs for working on class assignments.
- Waves Plug-ins
Music Technology students have access to a Microphone Locker, stocked with a wide variety of microphones to use for recording sessions.
- Neumann TLM 170
- DPA 2011
- DPA 4006
- Sennheiser 441
- Sennheiser 421
- AKG D112
- AKG 451
- Shure SM58
- Shure SM57
Students gain experience and fluency in all of our technology studios, which include a tracking room tied to all performance spaces in the building including an Orchestral Sound Stage capable of up to 60 micing locations and a mastering suite for critical listening, mixing, and mastering. Access to these spaces begin in the very first semester of study. A balanced approach of hands-on work as well as theoretical lecture helps the student develop habits and work flow strategies that frees them to be expressive as a music technology artist.