Applying to the Master of Science Program in Biotechnology
Applicants should have an undergraduate degree in biology (or a related sub-discipline) with a basic foundation in biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics.
Applicants will be considered on the basis of their intellectual capacity, communication skills, motivation, and aptitude for laboratory research. Applicants with serious undergraduate course deficiencies may be required to correct these prior to admission into the program.
• Fall Admission: May 1
• Spring Admission: October 1
• Summer: No Admission
Graduate application materials should be sent to:
Bayer School of Natural & Environmental Sciences
100 Mellon Hall
600 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15282
Department of Biological Sciences Application Requirements
Please submit a complete application with all items listed below. Only complete application packages are reviewed by the Admissions Committee.
1. An application.
To complete an online application go to one of the following:
2. A Statement of Purpose, approximately 250 words, describing your goals and objectives for enrolling in this program.
3. All official transcripts sent directly from the university Registrar's Office for programs completed within the United States. Officially evaluated transcripts by WES or ECE of all undergraduate and any graduate studies if completed outside of the United States. Transcripts should be sent to the address listed above.
4. Three letters of recommendation sent to the above address. In addition, please have each reference submit a completed recommendation form.
5. Original GRE scores sent to the above address. General test AND Subject Test (in either Biology, Biochemistry, or Cell and Molecular Biology) are REQUIRED for admission into the M.S./Ph.D. Biological Sciences programs. Only the General GRE scores are required for Biotechnology applicants.
6. Application Fees
- The graduate degree program application fee is waived for domestic applicants.
- For domestic applicants seeking a non-degree program (see Special Student status below), there is a $10 application fee (make check or money order payable to Duquesne University).
7. INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ONLY - Your application package must also contain the following:
- Official Internet-based (iBT) TOEFL scores that are current to one year. Please review Duquesne University's English Language Proficiency requirements.
- Before classes begin, International students and any non-native speakers of the English language (including Lawful Permanent Residents) will be required to take the Speaking Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK) test. On occasion students with exceptionally high speaking portions of the TOEFL may be waived from the SPEAK test.
- Duquesne University Affidavit of Support Form completed in full and an official bank statement. The affidavit of support form is a legal document that a student’s sponsor must complete and have notarized and certified. The bank statement must be from the sponsor and show at least one full year of costs. Estimates of costs for the academic year are available from the Office of International Programs.
- Mandatory International Student Form.
Please make sure your application is complete. Applications that are missing any of the above items will not be processed.
Please e-mail email@example.com with application questions or problems.
Special Student Status
Students who wish to take graduate science classes but are not interested in earning an advanced degree may apply for "Special Student" status. See the Special Student Application Instructions for more information.
We'd Like to Meet You!
We strongly encourage all applicants to visit our campus, meet our faculty, and tour our facilities. For more details, please see our Visitor Information Page.