Message from the Dean
Mary Ellen Smith Glasgow
Dear Prospective and Current Students, Alumni, and Friends of the School of Nursing,
Welcome to Duquesne University School of Nursing!
At Duquesne, we provide a student-centered education and serve students through a commitment to excellence in liberal and professional education because we believe that taking care of students comes with the expectation that they will ultimately take better care of patients, families, and the communities they serve.
Duquesne offers a transformational education for the mind, heart and spirit. Faculty facilitate the education of students in the art and science of nursing to provide ethical, holistic, culturally competent, and population-based care in collaboration with a variety of health care systems. We pride ourselves on creating an energetic, engaging learning environment, one that emphasizes evidence-based nursing, critical thinking, ethical practice, community service, and a commitment to social justice.
The School of Nursing has a rich innovative 77-year history that includes the first online PhD in Nursing Program in the nation in addition to other ground-breaking programs such as our Forensic Nursing Program.
The School of Nursing offers endless professional and personal opportunities for students and faculty:
- We are recognized by the National League for Nursing as a Center of Excellence for Creating Environments that Enhance Learning and Professional Development.
- Ranked #6 in Graduate Nursing Online Programs by U.S. News & World Report
- Offers outstanding online academic programs for clinicians and aspiring advanced practice nurses and leaders
- Builds on a tradition of serving our local community with our Community-Based Health and Wellness Center for Older Adults in many Pittsburgh neighborhoods - these client focused interdisciplinary clinics are designed to prevent unnecessary hospitalization and premature institutionalization of low income older adults.
- Our Center for Research for Underserved and Vulnerable Populations is dedicated to building a community of scholars that includes both faculty and students with a particular emphasis on topics related to health disparities, cultural competence, and chronic deviations from health.
- Exciting study abroad opportunities in our BSN, MSN, and PhD Programs
- Host the annual Rita M. McGinley Symposium Exploring Social Justice for Vulnerable Populations.
- A strong emphasis on nursing ethics
- A knowledgeable, caring committed faculty who are expert clinicians, researchers, teachers, and mentors
- A commitment to improve the health and well-being of culturally diverse individuals, groups and communities across the nation and globe.
- Technology infused, evidence-based programs
I hope you consider applying to one of our exceptional nursing programs and become part of our Duquesne nursing community. I encourage you to check the website frequently as we continue to add innovative academic and professional programs in addition to the latest news bytes about the School of Nursing.
If you are looking for a personal learning environment that delivers an outstanding educational experience, I invite you to become a Duquesne Nurse.
Mary Ellen Smith Glasgow, PhD, RN, FAAN
Professor and Dean