MSN Degree Admissions
ADMISSION CRITERIA (Summer start only)
- Current unencumbered license as a Registered Nurse
- A baccalaureate degree in nursing from an accredited nursing program
- A BSN QPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- A minimum of 1 year full-time work experience as a registered nurse is required prior to registration in clinical or specialty courses
- An interview with faculty may be required (in person, online or by phone)
- Students must meet the Technical Standards for Admission.
Required MSN Orientation
All new MSN students must attend a mandatory orientation on campus
May 12 and 13, 2014.
- Undergraduate statistics course
- Undergraduate physical assessment course required for the Family Nurse Practitioner and Nursing Education programs
- Computer literacy (including the ability to send and download attachments) or completed courses in word processing, spreadsheet, database management and presentation graphics
Transfer Credits (Advanced Standing) Requests
Transfer credits must meet the following criteria:
- Maximum of 9 MSN level credits from an accredited university and approved nursing program may be transferred
- Minimum grade of "B" or higher
- Credits may not have been applied to a previous degree
- Credits taken within the past 5 years
Procedure for requesting Transfer Credits:
- Complete the Request for Advanced Standing form.
- Request official transcript(s) for all requested transfer courses.
- Submit the Request for Advanced Standing form, the official transcript(s), and the course syllabus with other application materials.
- Your request will be evaluated by the Graduate Admissions Committee.
The admissions process for nursing graduate studies is handled exclusively by the School of Nursing.
2. Mail the following to the School of Nursing:
- Current curriculum vitae (CV): a complete resume with dated work and practice, honors, awards, publications and presentations
- Copy of current RN license
- Description of professional goals and how you plan to use advanced nursing knowledge in your future. This goal statement should be 1-2 typed pages, double-spaced, on separate sheet(s)
- 2 professional reference letters - one academic, one employment (have the letters sealed in envelopes and signed across the envelope seal by the endorsers). Reference letters should address the following: Reasons for pursuing graduate level education; potential for success in graduate studies, knowledge in chosen field; ability to work independently and as a team member; ability to express thoughts in speech and writing; ability to analyze and problem solve; leadership potential; and integrity.
- Copy of course syllabus for prerequisite courses: Statistics and Physical Assessment (if applying to the Family Nurse Practitioner or Nursing Education programs).
- The request for Advanced Standing Form and supporting documents, if requesting advanced standing
3. Arrange for these documents to be sent directly to the School of Nursing:
- Official BSN transcript
- Official transcripts for prerequisite courses, if not included on BSN program transcript
- Official transcripts of Master's-level courses, if requesting advanced standing
4. If you are interested in graduate aid, you must complete the
Graduate Financial Aid Application and mail directly to the Financial Aid Office.
5. If you are accepted, a non-refundable $250.00 deposit will be required to reserve your place in the class.