BSN Program Admissions - Transfer Students
INTERNAL TRANSFER (current Duquesne University student)
- School of Nursing Minimum Transfer Requirements:
- A 3.0 GPA
- A “C” or better in all requested transfer coursework
- Students must meet the Technical Standards for Admission.
- Admission of transfer students to the School of Nursing is based on space availability within an existing class.
- Please note that transfer students cannot be accepted into nursing clinical courses during the first semester of attendance in the School of Nursing.
- You will be notified as soon as a decision is made. Final decisions MAY not be made until final semester grades are received.
1. Meet with your current advisor to complete the following tasks:
- advisor to sign completed School of Nursing Internal Transfer Application
- advisor to complete Duquesne University Internal Transfer Form
- advisor to print a copy of your current Duquesne transcript
- advisor to copy your high school transcript
- advisor to copy any additional college transcripts
2. Complete an essay (1-3 typed pages) in which you explain:
(a) why you wish to transfer into Nursing
(b) the interests, strengths, and accomplishments that you would bring to Nursing
(c) your personal and professional goals.
3. Submit your application packet to Susan Hardner, 545 Fisher Hall, by the deadline date. Packet MUST include the following:
- completed School of Nursing Internal Transfer Application
- completed Duquesne University Internal Transfer Form
- current Duquesne transcript
- copy of high school transcript
- copy of any additional college transcripts
- one reference letter from a Duquesne University professor
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
4. After submitting your applications packet, contact Susan Hardner, Nursing Recruiter to schedule a personal interview. 412.396.4945 firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need any assistance, please contact Susan Hardner.
EXTERNAL TRANSFER (current student at another college or university)
Admission of transfer students to the School of Nursing is based on space availability within an existing class. Transfer students cannot be accepted into nursing clinical practicum courses during the first semester of attendance at Duquesne University. Only courses taken within the past 10 years will be evaluated for transfer credit. For courses in the natural sciences, the limit is 5 years. Transfer students must take all required nursing courses at Duquesne University.
For additional information regarding transferring to Duquesne, please see the Office of Admissions web page.
1. Academic guidelines for high school students:
Algebra I (1 year)
A candidate must have graduated from an approved secondary school in the upper two-fifths of the class, and must have demonstrated exemplary personal conduct in the institution. Students whose class rank is below the upper two-fifths are evaluated individually by the University Admissions Committee according to their overall academic achievement (i.e. high school quality point average and testing results).
- Consideration for admission includes the academic records from all secondary schools attended.
- A candidate must present satisfactory scores on the required College Entrance Examination Board Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or the American College Testing Program (ACT) test in accordance with the standards to which the University adheres.
- A cumulative QPA of 3.0 from the transferring institution.
- A personal interview with the School of Nursing Recruiter is required. Schedule a Visit
2. Students must meet the Technical Standards for Admission.
1. Complete an Application for Undergraduate Admission
2. Complete the Duquesne University External Transfer Form
3. Have the following documents sent directly to the Duquesne University Office of Admissions:
- An official high school transcript, including SAT and/or ACT test scores.
- An official college transcript.
- Two professional (academic and/or employment) reference letters. Please have the letters sealed in envelopes and signed across the envelope seal by the endorsers.
Office of Admissions
600 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh PA 15282
4. Contact Susan Hardner, Nursing Recruiter to schedule a personal interview.