Second Degree BSN Admissions for International Students
Duquesne University is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant foreign nationals. However, no immigration documents can be issued until all application materials, including financial resource certification, have been received. All international students are required to have health insurance per U.S. immigration law and University policy. For more information, please visit the Office of International Programs.
English Language Proficiency Requirements
English is the language of instruction at Duquesne University.
ALL accepted undergraduate students whose first language is other than English, are required to sit for English Language Placement Tests.
Second Degree nursing applicants are required to take the International Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam. Scores should be submitted as part of the application.
Students who submit official TOEFL scores of 575p (80 iBT) or higher, current to within one year, are excused from English Language Placement Tests except for the written and spoken English tests.
TOEFL scores are required for waiver from certain ESL (English as a Second Language) courses as well as for exit from the ESL Program
If test results indicate needed assistance with English, the student will be enrolled for appropriate courses in the on-campus ESL Program PRIOR TO the start of the Second Degree BSN nursing program.
The number of major-related courses that may be taken together with any assigned ESL classes will depend upon placement testing results.
School of Nursing Admissions Criteria
You must meet all international admissions requirements as determined by the Office of International Programs in addition to the School of Nursing admissions requirements:
1. BS or BA degree from an institution of higher learning recognized as an acceptable equivalent to a U.S. college or university.
2. A demonstrated record of acceptable academic success.
3. Prerequisite coursework - must be completed prior to fall enrollment. These courses must have been completed within the past 10 years:
|Biology or Chemistry with lab||3 credits|
|Anatomy and Physiology I with lab||4 credits|
|Anatomy and Physiology II with lab||4 credits|
|Microbiology with lab||4 credits|
4. A score of 575 or higher (80 iBT) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The score should be sent directly to the Office of International Programs.
5. A credential evaluation from the World Education Services (WES) for course work is required. The results must be sent directly to the School of Nursing.
6. Satisfactory personal/phone interview with a School of Nursing program advisor. Interviews may be arranged by calling the School at (412) 396-6550.
7. Students must meet the Technical Standards for Admission.
The application and ALL supporting documents (see below) must be received by the deadline date. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
1. Complete the online Duquesne University International Application.
Please choose the INTERNATIONAL application, not the Undergraduate application. The application must be complete and received by the deadline date. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
2. Send the following in one package to the School of Nursing:
- Statement of Professional Goals - Provide an essay addressing your decision to pursue a BSN degree and future career goals. Use a separate sheet and limit to one typed page, double-spaced.
- Curriculum vitae (CV) or resume.
- Two professional (academic and/or employment) reference letters. Please have the letters sealed in envelopes and signed across the envelope seal by the endorsers.
3. Request official transcripts from ALL PREVIOUS undergraduate and graduate work to be sent directly to:
Duquesne University School of Nursing
Second Degree Application
600 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh PA 15282