How to Apply
Study Abroad Application Procedures and Eligibility
Eligibility to Study Abroad:
- You must be at least a second semester freshmand to apply.
- You must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 for all Approved Study Abroad Programs.
- You must have no serious disciplinary or academic actions pending. All accepted applicants will be reviewed by the Student Life office for disciplinary clearance.
Application Process for Semester-long Approved Study Abroad Programs:
- Meet with the Study Abroad Advisor to discuss your options. The advisor will assist you in finding a program that best suits you academically and personally. The earlier you plan, the easier it is to accommodate a semester abroad in your academic career.
- Meet with your Academic Advisor. Once you have decided on a program, meet with your academic advisor to obtain course approvals for the classes you plan to take abroad. You want to be sure that the courses abroad will fulfill your major, minor, elective, and/or college core requirements.
- Apply to the Office of International Programs (OIP). Submit your Duquesne University application form and supporting documents (see below) to the Office of International Programs (OIP) by the published deadlines. The International Programs Study Abroad Admissions Committee, which consists of Duquesne University faculty and staff, will review your application for approval to study abroad by the university. You must be approved by the committee to study abroad in order to receive credit for your semester abroad.
- Apply to your program. Once you have received approval by Duquesne University to study abroad, apply directly to your selected program. The Study Abroad Advisor can assist you with this process.
|Fall Approved programs||March 1st (April 1st for Dublin)|
|Spring Approved programs||October 1st|
(If either of the deadlines fall on a weekend, submit materials by the Friday before)
- Apply online or submit the paper Application
- Two Recommendations Forms: one from your advisor and one from a faculty member
- Copy of your transcript (must be official if applying to Ireland or Queen Mary)
- Study Abroad Course Approval Form
- 2 page essay addressing the following:
- Why you want to study abroad.
- Why you chose this country and program.
- What courses you plan to take abroad and how this experience compliments your academic and professional goals.
Duquesne University in Dublin, Ireland Applicants ONLY
In addition to the application materials above, you will also need to submit the following by the same deadlines:
- Proof of Online application to University College Dublin
- Application type: Visiting Student
- Programme Choice: Business, Arts, etc. (be certain you are applying to the program where you plan to take the majority of your classes)
- Copy of passport or birth certificate
Application Process for Short-Term Faculty-Led Programs
Work directly with the sponsoring faculty member. Each program will have its own process and deadlines. Check out the Short-Term programs.