A A Email Print Share

Immigration Info for Current Students

For F or J visa holders, what are you required to do during your stay at Duquesne University? 

You are required to maintain your status: This means that you must carry at least 12 credits if you are an undergraduate student, 9 credits as a graduate student and at least 4 English as a Second Language courses if you are a student in the program.

Maintaining status includes reporting all changes to the Office of International Programs including:  Address changes, program changes,  lengths of program changes and completion dates if programs. Students traveling outside of the country should bring their documents to the OIP for signatures on their I-20 or DS-2019 to ensure easy entry back into the country.

 If, for some reason, you will not be able to maintain your full-time status, you must contact the Office of International Programs for their guidance. 

If you must change your visa status TO F-1 status, please consult the instructions at this link

If you must change your visa status FROM F-1 status, please consult the instructions at this link

What is a Social Security Number and how can I get one?

Anyone who has obtained employment must obtain a Social Security Number:  A nine-digit number that is issued by the U.S. government to its citizens and residents upon application used to track employment and taxes. Anyone who has secured employment must obtain a social security number.

Consult the Office of International Program for details on obtaining a Social Security Number.

Social Security Administration Home Page

Consult these website for detailed information:

U.S. State Department
U.S. Consulate Offices