A Letter to Parents from the Office of International Programs
Congratulations on taking the first step towards choosing an American University for your child. Our office is here to assist you with the application process and beyond. We hope to provide your child with the best information possible to help them settle in with ease and become the best Duquesne student they can be.
As a parent you have watched your child grow into a hardworking, dedicated and mature young adult and sending them away to another country for their higher education can be an extremely emotional and difficult endeavor. The Office of International Programs (OIP) has worked to create a welcoming environment for your son or daughter to grow academically, socially and spiritually. We often say that the OIP is a “home away from home” for our international students to support and encourage your child throughout their experience at Duquesne.
What’s your role as a parent?
- Take a close look at this wesite to understand our mission, goals and support structure for international students.
- Take the time to become informed about your student’s academic programs and universities of interest. Your child will be assigned to academic advisors in both English as a Second Language (ESL), if necessary, and their academic program to create a course schedule for the semester.
- Learn more about the application process, immigration process, and Accepted Students next steps.
- If possible, try to visit some campuses to become more familiar with the academic and social environment of university life in the United States.
- Get to know representatives in the Office of International Programs during the application process. They can be an invaluable source of support and information on the U.S. university process.
- Visit our "International Life at Duquesne" section to learn more about activities for international students, the city of Pittsburgh, and accomodation options.
- You are invited to attend our International Orientation to learn more about what is expected of your child and what you might be able to do to help. We will also provide opportunities for you and your child to get some shopping done, tour the city and relax with some food, fun and games.
- Feel free to contact us with any question and concerns you may have before your child embarks on this exciting, new journey.