Spring 2017 International Student Orientation is on January 10, 2017
Spring Orientation is mandatory for all new international students.
Here is a brief outline of the day's events: (More information will be given at orientation)
- Orientation begins at 8:15am in room 613 of the student union. We will begin with breakfast and a welcome from the Office of International Programs.
- Sessions on topics for incoming students such as immigration, campus safty, technology, health insurance, Pittsburgh, life at Duquesne, and academics will be addressed.
- Health service clearances
- ESL testing will be conducted
Summer 2017 International Student Orientation is on May 11, 2017
Save the date and plan your travel arrangements accordingly. It is mandatory that you are in attendance if you are a new incoming student.
Fall 2017 International Orientation is August 10-12, 2017
- Orientation will begin on August 10th in the Power Center and end on August 12th.
- You will take any required ESL Placement exams during one of the days of orientation.
- Please consult the Accepted Student: Next Steps checklist for links to apply for on-campus housing and to submit your health forms.
- When you arrive to Duquesne come to the International Office on the 6th floor of the Union to present your passport and I-20.
Here is a rough draft with limited details:
Thursday, August 10
- 8:30 am-11am: Welcome, history of Duquesne, Computing and Technology Services, Campus Safety, How to Keep In Immigration Status
- 11am - 12:30pm : Lunch and Resource Fair (set up your bank account, talk to student organizations and campus offices)
- 1pm - 4:30pm: Breakout sessions with Graduate, Undergraduates, and ESL students separate. Student panel discussions, how to register for class, and other imporant information will be presented. Tours of campus will also end this section of the afternoon.
- 5pm: Dinner on campus led by student volunteers (Cultural Ambassadors)
Friday August 11
- Graduate Student ESL Testing and Clearance
- Shopping Trip for Residence Hall supplies
- Picnic for all international students - joined by current students / Cultural Ambassadors!
Saturday August 12
- Downtown and neighborhood tours led by student volunteers
Sunday August 13: If you are not living on campus permanently and have requested temporary housing for orientation, you must move out of the dorms on this day.
Tuesday, August 15 - University holiday: residence halls will be open but University offices will be closed
Wednesday, August 16
- Undergraduate ESL placement testing
Thursday August 17 - Friday August 18
- Continued: Undergraduate and graduate clearance forms and class registration
Wednesday August 16
Individual graduate orientations begin (SUBJECT TO CHANGE)
Liberal Arts Orientation: Friday, August 18th
Bayer School Orientation: August 16 - August 19
Music Orientation August 18
Master of Nursing ONLINE
Business Saturday, August 19th.
Pharmacy August 16 - August 19
LLM Wednesday - August 16
Day Law School Program August 17 - August 19
Graduate Special Education August 15, 2017 10 am - Noon 108 Canevin
Undergraduate campus-wide Orientation for New Students begins: www.duq.edu/orientation
A more detailed schedule of events will given to you on the day of Orientation.
During Fall International Orientation you will:
- Meet other new students and the Cultural Ambassadors
- Get immigration, English testing, class registration, and student service information
- Meet with on-campus departments such as Health Services and English as a Second Language
- Speak with various service providers from the city of Pittsbrugh
- Take a campus tour of Duquesne and the neighborhoods of Pittsburgh
- Go shopping
- Enjoy fun activities on and off campus!