A A Email Print Share

Change TO F-2 status

Change of Status to F-2 (dependent): (The Application Procedure)

Students in F-1 status who are the spouse of an F-1 at Duquesne University, who wish to change status so that they are a dependent of an F-1 visa holder, just submit the following documents to the OIP:

Completed form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status found at USCIS/FORMS.
 Filing Fee: Check uscis.gov for the most current fee for the I-539. Please write your check or money order payable to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security."
 Letter from the student requesting the change of status for new dependent, explaining the circumstances.
 The new original dependent I-20 created by OIP signed by the student, NOT the dependent. Be sure the number of dependents is listed and the financials reflect dependent funding. (You will not get this I-20 back; Keep another original for yourself)
 Photocopies of F-1 student's immigration documents:

• I-20 (showing added dependent information and funding)
• Passport ID page (and page showing expiration date)
• F-1 visa
• I-94 card

 Photocopies of new F-2 dependent's immigration documents:

• Passport photo page (and page showing expiration date)
• Visa (if applicable)
• I-94 card
• Current I-20 (if changing from F-1 to F-2)
 Proof of family relationship (i.e. marriage certificate, with certified translations)
 Financial documentation: evidence which supports section 8 on your I-20

Students applying for a change of status should be aware of all grace periods regarding his/her current status and the timeline for submitting the I-539. It is the obligation of the student to have all the requested materials and to check USCIS.GOV for the most up-to-date information regarding forms, instructions, and fees. Please notify OIP when you receive the approval notice of the change of status.

The F-2 dependents are permitted to remain in the United States for the duration of the status of the primary F-1 student. F-2 dependents may not accept employment and may not engage in a course of study.

Once an I-20 form has been issued, the dependent may initiate a change of status to F-2 by either departing the U.S. and applying for an F-2 visa from a U.S. consulate abroad or by filing the I-539 application to change immigration status to F-2 from within the U.S. It is not necessary for an individual who changes status to F-2 within the U.S. to obtain a new visa unless the individual departs the U.S. and then wishes to return in F-2 status.