ACLL CARDHOLDER BENEFITS – Please Renew Today!
Dear Library Patrons:
It is time once again to renew your library membership. We are thankful for your continued support to help keep Allegheny County Law Library a thriving legal information center even in these tough economic times. Based upon the findings of our recent focus group sessions, we are improving and adding services to meet your needs. Listed below are just a few of the many cardholder benefits:
Here is a link to the Borrowers' Application Form.
Expanded Cardholder Access to Westlaw Titles
- Am. Jur. 2d
- National form sets
- ResultsPlus for over 600 secondary sources
- Federal Practice & Procedure / Wright & Miller
- Am. Jur. Modern Trials
- Am. Jur. Pleading & Practice Forms
- Am. Jur. Proof of Facts
- Causes of Action
- Federal Procedural Forms
- Pennsylvania primary sources
- PA Appellate Briefs
- PA Trial Fillings (includes jury instructions in individual trials)
- PA Pleadings, Motions and Memoranda
- PA Graphical Statutes and Legislative Histories
- PA Secondary sources including:
- Pennsylvania Forms
- West’s Pennsylvania Practice Series (including 23 individual titles)
- Standard PA Practice 2d
- Summary of PA Jurisprudence 2d
- 20% discount on all Continuing Legal Education courses which will expand next year. Additional discounts for multiple attendees from one firm.
- Conduct new series of free classes on legal research training, law office management, etc.
- Discounts on document delivery (fax or email delivery).
- All lawyers and support staff become cardholders with single subscription
- Checking out books from one of the largest collections of legal materials between both libraries
- Circulation privileges at both the County Law Library and Duquesne Center for Legal Information –2 week loans!
- Access to Lexis and Westlaw for federal and all state primary sources
- Access to ALI-ABA publications, Shepard’s Citations, KeyCite, LegalTrac, and Hein Online
The cost of library materials continues to outpace its funding resources, e.g. West has raised its prices an average of 15% each year for the past five years, e.g., Fed. Reporter, $10,000; West’s Federal Digest 4th, $6,500, or PBI publications, $14,500. Due to increased costs and decreasing filing fees, we must implement a small fee increase for cardholders over last year. We look forward to helping you with your legal research needs in the coming year. Please do not hesitate to ask for any assistance.
Joel Fishman, Ph.D.
Assistant Director for
Professor Frank Y. Liu
Director of DCLI/ACLL
Upcoming CLE: The Investigation of Drug Facilitated Sexual Assault
The Cyril H. Wecht Institute of Forensic Science and Law will host a series of CLE seminars from January through June, 2011. Please visit the following link to view the Spring 2011 schedule:
The Investigation of Drug Facilitated Sexual Assault
January 21, 2011
Allegations of drug-facilitated crimes, particularly drug-facilitated sexual assault (DFSA), have increased significantly in the past decade. Unfortunately, because of the numerous challenges of these cases, they are often not prosecuted due to lack of solid evidence, including detection of the drugs used to facilitate the crime. This presentation by FBI Laboratory chemist Dr. Marc LeBeau and Sexual Assault Response Team of Allegheny County nurses Valerie Schreiber and Debra Shane will address the challenges of DFSA. The focus will be on the various drugs used to commit the crime with a demonstration on how these drugs effect the reporting of the crime and the ability to detect them in toxicological analyses. Case examples will be provided to illustrate the difficulties encountered in DFSA cases.
Please visit the Forensic Fridays web page for more information.
Federal Digital System Video Presentation Available Online
GPO Access will soon be replaced by Federal Digital System "FDsys". An informative video presentation by Ashley Dahlen - Outreach Librarian at the U.S. Government Printing Office in Washington, D.C., is available at the following LLRX link:
Legal News Links
High court turns away appeal from 'birther' leader
Sentencing hearing to begin in Tom DeLay trial
High court lets divided jury convictions stand
U.K. Government Lays Out Plan to Overhaul 'Laughing Stock' Libel Laws
Iran convicts prominent human rights lawyer
Lawmaker: U.S. subpoenaed Twitter information linked to WikiLeaks
Latest Legal Link
Law Research is an internet law library providing numerous resources. Users will find the “Mainstreet Attorney Directory” helpful in locating legal professionals. Options allow for the listing of your law firm, accessing of news links, or “smart browse” legal professionals. The site provides links to additional resources, such as “Sherlock”, which allows users to find background information on individuals utilizing public records. Law Research offers links to legal reference materials, such as law related publications, law libraries, and 800 historical reference sources. Additionally, the site includes global news by country, United States news, and best headline news organizations. Visit Law Research to explore these and many more online legal resources.