Upcoming Wecht Institute Annual Conference:
An Interdisciplinary Look at the State of Forensic Death Investigation
The Cyril H. Wecht Institute of Forensic Science and Law will mark its 10th anniversary this fall with Cause of Death, scheduled for November 19th and 20th in the University's state-of-the-art Power Center. The conference will feature forensic experts, criminal investigators, attorneys, and judges discussing pertinent developments and issues in the methods and strategies used to investigate and adjudicate sudden, suspicious and/or medically unattended deaths in the United States.
In keeping with the Institute's goals, this conference will engender in its attendees a better appreciation for the critical ways in which science and the law can and should work together in pursuit of truth and justice as it pertains to sudden and suspicious deaths.
Please visit the event web site for additional important information:
Come and explore:
- Many different aspects of forensic death investigation
- Legal issues surrounding death investigations
- How to deal with evidence and decipher what evidence means
Network and learn with:
- Forensic practitioners from a variety of backgrounds
- Legal scholars
- Law enforcement officers
- Medical personnel
If you have any questions, or would like more information, please contact the Wecht Institute at 412-396-1330 or at email@example.com or visit the Institute's home page.
New Databases Available at ACLL
We have added four database files in HeinOnline:
1. Bar Journals: Collection of more than 90 bar association journals (national, state, and local) including the Pennsylvania Bar Association Quarterly (vols. 1-80).
2. Subject Compilations of State Laws (1960-2010): More than 18,000 bibliographical references to state law topics from the annual volumes published by Cheryl Nyberg and Carol Boast.
3. Taxation and Economic Reform in America (1781-2010): Primary and secondary materials on tax law and economic reform including statutory law, legislative histories, treatises, and congressional reports.
4. World Constitutions Illustrated. Contains country constitutions; books, periodicals, treatises, etc.
New Publication by Dr. Joel Fishman
Joel Fishman, Asst. Director for Lawyer Services, published "Celebrating 600" volumes of the Pennsylvania State Reports in the current issue of PA Lawyer 46-48 (Nov./Dec. 2010).
Upcoming CLE - Trace Evidence Analysis: Legal Opportunities and Challenge
This Continuing Legal Education seminar is hosted by TheCyril H. Wecht Institute of Forensic Science and Law.
December 10, 2010
David Exline, general manager of Commercial and Forensic Services for the Monroeville-based laboratory, RJ Lee Group, will headline this seminar intended to bring criminal attorneys, judges, law enforcement officers and others involved in the criminal justice system up to date on the opportunities and challenges facing trace evidence analysis in an era of increased scientific scrutiny. Additional speakers for this seminar will be announced.
Please visit the Forensic Fridays web page for more information.
Legal News Links
NLJ 250 Sees Second Straight Year of Headcount Drop
Legal Services Sector Lost 300 Jobs in October
Judge Kaplan Lays Into Plaintiffs in Ecuador Suit Against Chevron
Lawyers say winning egg-related lawsuits difficult
Supreme Court stays out of NFL drug violation dispute
Amanda Knox indicted on slander charges in Italy
Latest Legal Link
LawyerExpress is a comprehensive site created by a lawyer, for practicing lawyers. The site is divided into four main categories including daily news, legal research, office tools, and break time. The daily news section offers links to online legal news links, legal periodicals, various magazines, general news, and additional resources. The legal research section links to state law, federal law, international law, legal reference, company research, and legal association web sites. The office tools section provides links to important resources necessary for the daily operation of a law office such as package delivery, travel, airlines, and tech tools. Useful tools include currency, postage, and salary calculators. The break time section simply offers numerous recreational resources such as sports, autos, entertainment, and leisure links that a legal professional may find enjoyable.