C - Concerns: Health, Safety, and Security
- Are there site/country-specific medical concerns, e.g., malaria, hepatitis, etc. that need to be addressed? If so, explain how you have done so?
- Are you familiar with the Medex emergency assistance coverage that all students and faculty carry? Can you explain this coverage to your participants and their parents?
What is Medex?
Medex Member Center Overview
- Provide the names, addresses, and phone numbers. of the nearest medical/dental/mental health facilities. You may access this information by going to the Medex members website and clicking on “Create User”. (How to create a Medex Member Center Account.) Duquesne University’s member number is: 312971.
*DO NOT CALL MEDEX for assistance in accessing this information. If you need help, please call OIP.
- Are there any high risk activities as a part of the program OR easily accessible to the students during free time? (e.g., bungee jumping in New Zealand).
- Alcohol and drug issues are of particular concern while abroad. Have you formulated written policies and procedures about alcohol and drug use, and are you prepared to explain these to students and parents?
Safety and Security
- Have you checked the State Department website and seen the most up-to-date information on your country/ies of destination?
- Provide the names, addresses, and phone numbers of all housing facilities.
- Have you seen these housing facilities? If not, what is your confidence level about the nature of these housing facilities? (Sanitation, fire exits, location, etc.)
- Do you have an Emergency Action Plan (EAP)? The OIP can assist in this.
- List all responsible faculty/adults who are accompanying? There should be a minimum of two(2) on any program.