Resources for Veterans
If you have spent time serving our country in the military,
you may be wondering how to translate that experience and prepare for your job search.
The Center for Career Development is here to help!
A premier resource to assist you in making the transition from the military to civilian life is the Department of Labor's VETS Transition Assistance Program. We strongly encourage you to utilize this online resource created especially for veterans.
You'll find information on
- identifying strengths and challenges arising from your military experience
- transalting your military experience to civilian terms
- résumé and cover letter preparation, including samples of each
- interviewing techniques that demonstrate how to answer questions for civilian employers
- career decision making
The Center for Career Development is here to help you make the transition as well.
Our services include:
- One-on-One Career Counseling, which may be done over the phone if you are unable to come to campus.
- Résumé Review: how using your experience in the military to show your value to a company.
- DuqCareerLink, our online job database accessible only to Duquesne students and alumni.
- LinkedIn: Join the Center for Career Development group to network with employers, students, and alumni. Connect with other veterans and veteran groups through LinkedIn. Join professional organizations that relate to your career choice.
- Student Veterans of America - a student organization
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs - government agency for veterans
- Veteran Guide to Starting and Owning a Business
- G.I. Jobs - job database for veterans
- Vet Jobs - job database for veterans
- Hero2Hired - job board and career exploration
- Job Hero - career information
- Job Center USA - provides skills identification and self-assessment
- Feds Hire Vets - job opportunities with the federal government
- Veterans Jobs Bank - job database for veterans
- Veterans Leadership Program of Western PA - provides human services support
- VA for Vets - for fedreal or non-profit careers