Answering Questions Effectively
You will spend the majority of time in any interview answering questions asked by the interviewer. Review your strengths, skills, goals, and weaknesses. Remember the employer is interested in what you bring to the workplace. Practice talking about your skills, strengths, and experiences in terms of how you can use them on the job.
Common Interview Questions
- What do you consider to be your greatest strengths and weaknesses?
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would you describe yourself?
- How do you think your former supervisor would describe you? Former co-workers?
- Describe your most rewarding accomplishment.
- Tell me about a goal you set for yourself and how you achieved it.
- How do you determine success?
- Have you ever had any failures and what have you learned as a result?
- Describe a problem you encountered and how did you deal with it?
- Why did you choose your major?
- Why did you choose to attend your college/university?
- How has your college experience prepared you for your career?
- If you were to start over, what would you change about your education?
- What courses did you like best? Least? Why?
- Describe your most rewarding college experience.
- Do your grades accurately reflect your ability? Why/ why not?
Jobs and Career Goals
- What two or three things are most important to you in your job?
- What motivates you most in a job?
- What did you enjoy most/ least about your previous job?
- What jobs have you enjoyed the most? Least?
- What type of supervisor do you prefer?
- What are the qualities of the best supervisor you’ve had in a previous job?
- Why did you choose your career?
- What are your career goals?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 or 10 years?
A Specific Position
- What do you think you will like most about this job? Least?
- What characteristics do you have that you think will make you successful in this position?
- Why are you interested in working for our company?
- What do you know about our company?
- What interests you about our product or service?
- Are you willing to travel?
- Do you prefer any specific geographic location?
- Are you willing to relocate?
- Why should we hire you?
And don't forget ... Is there anything that I haven't asked you that you would like to share?