Step-by-step Job Search Guide
The job search process is like a campaign and every campaign requires a plan to accomplish its ultimate goal. Here are the action steps you should take to find the right job for you!
- Know yourself, your skills, abilities, strengths, weaknesses, types of work activities you enjoy, and values which are most important to you
- Identify as precisely as possible the type of work or career you want to pursue and make sure it is compatible with your skills, strengths, and values
- Access sources of assistance: Career Services, library, Internet, etc.
- Identify occupations, organizations, and industries which interest you
- Develop your knowledge of organizations and industries where you would like to work
- Identify name and job title of person to whom you can send your resume and cover letter
- Utilize Career Services, libraries, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Directories, Internet, and other resources to assist you in your research
- Meet with alumni, professors, peers, former employers, relatives, and others to acquire assistance in your employment search
- Seek advice, guidance, and names of other professionals who may help you
Resume and Cover Letter
- Write your resume and cover letter by utilizing information provided by Career Services
- Meet with your career counselor if you need assistance or have any questions