Communication Studies is applied communication for public and private life. It takes theory into practice in every area of life, from business and industry to family and friendship.
As a Communication Studies major, you "build your own" degree in consultation with the Undergraduate Directors to design a program of study tailored to meet your professional and personal goals.
- Civil or corporate law practice
- Attorney specializing in criminal law
- Trial lawyer in a large or small firm
- State government agencies and offices (e.g., State Attorney General office)
- Federal government agencies that make and enforce regulations (e.g, EPA, Civil Rights Office, Immigration)
- Law enforcement (e.g., Federal Marshall, FBI, Homeland Security)
Strategies: Join Pre-Law Society at Duquesne; meet with pre-law advisor in the Political Science department; apply for government internships; research the Duquesne post-graduate paralegal certificate program
- Political campaign manager (national, state and local candidates)
- Speech writer for campaigns and elected officials
- Staffer for elected public official (e.g., Congress, State Legislator, Governor, Mayor)
- Political party staff (National, State and local)
- Interest groups seeking legislation at state and national levels
Strategies: Become active in public and community programs; search DuqCareerLink for posted PA internships in Harrisburg; play leadership roles in student political organizations and political party groups (e. g., Young Republicans, Young Democrats); volunteer and/or work part-time job in political campaign; volunteer in advocacy programs and action groups (e.g., Human Rights, Green Energy).
- Non-governmental organization ( NGO) (e.g., World Vision, Drs without Borders)
- Private foundations
- Action groups
- Charitable organizations
- Community organizer
Strategies: Take on leadership role in on-campus advocacy groups (e.g., Animal Welfare Group; Lambda; Amizade); research organizations on the Internet to determine focal interests; do an internship with an advocacy group; become active in local advocacy groups and chapters of national and/or international groups.
- Development Director for charity or foundation
- Alumni Fund-raising for a university
- Foundation relations
- Fundraising event planner
- Social networking in marketing non-profit
Strategies: gGain experience marketing and fundraising for campus organizations; volunteer as a fundraiser for local charities and groups; intern at event planning firm; develop a strong portfolio of writing; take courses and gain experience in writing for the Internet; volunteer to develop materials for community and non-profit organizations; work with college magazines, radio and TV.
Public and Community Relations
- Copywriter of press releases and statements in public relations firm
- Risk and crisis communication for a company or organization
- Media director for legislative representative or political campaign
- Consumer affairs departments of government agencies
Strategies: Intern in PR firms and ad agencies; attend the Job and Internship Fair every semester; write copy for promotions and PR of student organizations; develop excellent communication and diplomatic skills; perfect your public speaking and writing skills; join and take leadership roles in student organizations; attend the regular government and the non-profit job and internship fairs sponsored by Duquesne.
Public and Consumer Affairs
- Government agencies (federal, state, local)
- Corporate government relations departments
- Tourism councils and chambers of commerce
- Community affairs for professional, sports, and charitable organizations
- World affairs, political and non-governmental organizations
- Researcher for legislators or community action committees
Strategies: intern with government agencies; participate in community action groups; volunteer in political campaigns in publicity areas; consider a minor or take coursework in Political Science or International Relations; work for election campaigns or legislators; develop strong presentation and persuasion skills; build excellent writing and communication skills in a variety of media.