Individuals with Disabilities
The Career Services Center is committed to partnering with students and alumni with disabilities in the career development process and in the search for internship and job opportunities.
We offer many resources to assist you, including:
- one-on-one career counseling
- career assessments
- resume and cover letter assistance
- job and internship search strategies
- interview techniques
To discuss any of the above topics, please make an appointment through Starfish to talk with your career counselor. Alumni should call 412-396-6644 for an appointment.
In addition, we partner with the PA Office of Vocational Rehabilitation Services (OVR) who are experts in the employment of individuals with disabilities. OVR provides services to eligible individuals with disabilities, both directly and through a network of approved vendors. Services are provided on an individualized basis. The web site allows you to find the closes OVR office to you.
Watch our calendar in DuqCareerLink for presentations and companies hosting information tables in the Student Union.
In addition to the resources provided by Duquesne University through Special Services and Career Services, you may find these resources helpful:
- Bender Consulting - works with private sector and government employers to recruit, screen and hire people with disabilities for professional positions.
- Brighton Institute - guides individuals with disabilities to meaningful, gainful employment provided in their native language (ASL).
- Disability.gov - The U.S. federal government website for information on disability programs and services nationwide, including employment.
- Federal Government Disability Employment - Navigate the job search with assistance from this site.
- Getting Hired - Provides resources, including an online job board, to assist job seekers in finding and securing meaningful profesional employment.
- Life's Work - This Western PA organization aims to provide persons with disabilities opportunity, employment, and independence.
- National Business & Disability Council - An organization committed to helping companies implement best practices in diverse employment.
- Works for Me - Provides assistance to Pennsylvania residents with disabilities to find a job and additional career support.
Additional resources you may find helpful: