Disposing of Bulk Items
Follow the City of Pittsburgh guidelines regarding the disposal of bulk waste:
Bulk waste includes common large and over-sized items, such as:
• Sofas, Recliner Chairs, Tables
• Box Springs, Mattresses, Dressers
• Stoves, Washers, Dryers
• Toilets, Hot Water Tanks
• Windows, Cabinets
• Fencing in bundles not exceeding 35 pounds or 5 feet in length
• Visit: http://pittsburghpa.gov/dpw/environmental-services/bulky-waste.html to determine if your bulk items can be picked up with your regular trash or if you need to schedule a special pick-up!
Bulk Waste may be set out curbside with your regularly scheduled refuse pick-up.
• Limit two items per week
• Place at curb no earlier than 7:00 p.m. on the night before collection and no later than 6:00 a.m. on the day of collection
The City of Pittsburgh does not collect the following items curbside:
• Televisions, Computers, Peripherals
• Freon Appliances
• Household Chemicals/Hazardous Wastes
• Demolition and Construction Wastes
• Batteries, Light Bulbs
• Car and Automobile Parts, Tires
Be sure to visit our Materials Recovery Map to explore additional options for re-use, recycling or responsible disposal of various items.
Excessive Bulk Waste
Any excess material and other excessively large items above the two-item limit will not be collected unless special pickup arrangements have been made.
• A minimum cost of $100 for each half-hour applies to special bulk pickups.
• Personal checks or money orders only. Make checks payable to City of Pittsburgh Treasurer.
• Call 412.255.2773 to arrange for a special pickup.