A A Email Print Share

Fire Safety and Prevention

When residing off campus, follow these tips to prevent apartment/house fires.

If a fire breaks out, get out and stay out-call 911.

Have at least one working smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector on each floor of your residence, preferably one in each sleeping area. It is the landlord's responsibility to provide operable smoke alarms (and possibly carbon monoxide detectors) in their rental properties. Tenants are responsible for the replacement of batteries as needed. Test alarms once per month, and change batteries each semester.

Always know two ways out, especially from bedrooms.

Keep items at least three feet from heat sources, including your furnace.

Don't grill on a porch or within 20 feet of a building.

Don't store gasoline or lighter fluid inside your residence.

Keep a working fire extinguisher near your kitchen and know how to use it.

Make sure your extension cords or power strips are rated for the wattage of your products to be plugged in; do not run them through walls, doorways, ceilings or floors; if a cord is covered, heat cannot escape, which leads to a fire hazard.

Don't overload electrical outlets.