A A Email Print Share

DU Dedicates Symbolic Sculpture, Renovation Projects

Duquesne University will dedicate its new sculpture at the center of Locust Street Circle, as well as the nearby renovated Gumberg Plaza and the remodeled Duquesne Union.

This sculpture,named The Spirit of Duquesne, is a symbolic work of art made of steel and glass by Pittsburgh artists Kathleen Mulcahy and Ron Desmett to commemorate the University’s 130th anniversary. It depicts a flame, emblematic of the University’s motto, Spiritus est qui vivificat, It is the Spirit Who Gives Life.

The construction at the main entrance to Gumberg Library has improved access and aesthetics to the library’s entrance and resulted in major structural upgrades.

In February, significant renovations began changing the second floor of the union, after the Barnes & Noble bookstore moved to the new Power Center. The dramatic remodeling project enlarged the lobby, created a student lounge and enhanced facilities for the Computer Store, campus health service and other areas. The project observed Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) principles and has been submitted to receive the LEED certificate for renovations.

When: 3 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 1

Where: Locust Street Circle, Duquesne University campus

Duquesne University

Founded in 1878, Duquesne is consistently ranked among the nation's top Catholic universities for its award-winning faculty and tradition of academic excellence. Duquesne, a campus of nearly 10,000 graduate and undergraduate students, has been nationally recognized for its academic programs, community service and commitment to sustainability. Follow Duquesne University on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
www.duq.edu