Duquesne Dedicates New Power Center
Duquesne University will host the dedication for the Power Center, its new, five-level, 130,000-square-foot multipurpose facility and the first phase of DU’s redevelopment on Forbes Avenue.
Features of the Power Center:
- Barnes & Noble at Duquesne, a two-story combination of a collegiate bookstore and a full-size general bookseller
- The Power Recreation Center, encompassing three floors of recreation and fitness areas, including cardio fitness machines with personal viewing screens, basketball/volleyball courts, a free weight room, aerobics studios and classrooms, racquetball courts, a walking track and Internet-accessible lounges
- The Red Ring, a full-service restaurant
- Jamba Juice bar
- The Marketplace, a convenient take-out and prepared sandwich, snacks and sundry shop
- The Power Ballroom, a conference/ballroom with panoramic views of the city, balconies and the capacity for up to 700 people. Access is provided to the Forbes Parking Garage and campus via the Sklar Skywalk, the city’s highest pedestrian walkway.
The Power Center has been designed to earn the Silver Certification in the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED). This certification evaluates and rates the building’s energy efficiency, the amount of recycled content in construction materials, the amount of landfill waste generated during construction, impact of the building on the surrounding community and indoor air quality.
The complex is named for Duquesne’s first president, the Rev. William Patrick Power, C.S.Sp.
When: Monday, Jan. 28, from 4 to 6 p.m.
Where: Ballroom, fifth level, Power Center, corner of Chatham Square and Forbes Avenue
Founded in 1878, Duquesne is consistently ranked among the nation's top Catholic universities for its award-winning faculty and tradition of academic excellence. Duquesne, a campus of nearly 9,500 graduate and undergraduate students, has been nationally recognized for its academic programs, community service and commitment to sustainability. Follow Duquesne University on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.