FEMA Response Division Head Keynotes Conference on Mass Disaster Response
The kick-off of the seventh annual Wecht Conference,Preserving Evidence, Saving Lives: The Roles of Forensic Science, Medicine and the Law in Mass Disaster Response, will feature a keynote address from Glenn Cannon, director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) Response Division.
Cannon, who will address Mass Casualty Disaster Response—the Department of Homeland Security/Federal Emergency Management Agency Perspective, is a former manager and chief operating officer of Allegheny County. For FEMA, he is responsible for coordinating the development and execution of interagency plans, policies and procedures, and for response operations in Presidential disaster and emergency declarations, and other incidents of national significance.
After his address, Cannon will participate in the panel discussionCoordinating Federal, State and Local Mass Disaster Response Policy.
Additional panelists include:
- Frederick W. Fochtman, Ph.D., director and chief toxicologist of Allegheny County Medical Examiner’s Office
- Bruce Dixon, M.D., director of the Allegheny County Department of Health
- Karl E. Williams, M.D., M.P.H, medical examiner, Allegheny County
- Lt. Joseph Wilson, Homeland Security liaison officer, Domestic Security Office, Pennsylvania State Police
- Kevin Yeskey, acting director, Office of Preparedness and Emergency Operations, and acting deputy assistant secretary, Office of Public Health Emergency Preparedness in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Top experts and scholars from across the nation will gather at the three-day conference to provide health care professionals, forensic investigators, attorneys and policy makers with a better understanding of how to better respond to mass disasters.
For complete details and a schedule for Preserving Evidence, Saving Lives: The Roles of Forensic Science, Medicine and the Law in Mass Disaster Response, visit http://www.duq.edu/massdisasters.
The media are asked to call 412.396.6051 to arrange free parking at the event.
Founded in 1878, Duquesne is consistently ranked among the nation's top Catholic universities for its award-winning faculty and tradition of academic excellence. Duquesne, a campus of nearly 10,000 graduate and undergraduate students, has been nationally recognized for its academic programs, community service and commitment to sustainability. Follow Duquesne University on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.