New Spiritan Research Center to be Headquartered at Duquesne
The Rev. Edmund Supple, C.S.Sp., Room Is Dedicated
Resources written about and by the Congregation of the Holy Spirit, which founded Duquesne University, will be housed in this room named that will be dedicated in honor of the Rev. Edmund Supple, C.S.Sp. Supple, 93, has been integral in campus life for 48 years, serving as academic vice president and theology professor, as well as in other capacities. The new home for the Spiritan collection is named for him because of his outstanding service to the University.
The dedication also marks the official opening of this Spiritan collection to researchers. Gathering the collection in one location is intended to promote the study of the history, traditions and spirituality of the congregation, according to the Rev. John Fogarty, C.S.Sp., director of the Center for Spiritan Studies.
Already, 16 volumes by the Spiritan founders, priests and brothers who started the order in France in 1703, have been digitized. Other material is being gathered to open an electronic collection that can be accessed from Duquesne and around the world. Specialized resources include volumes on dictionaries of African languages and liturgies. Several hundred volumes assembled by the late Rev. Henry J. Koren, C.S. Sp., who helped the University to gain an international reputation in existential phenomenology, also are part of the collection.
When: 4 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 5
Where: Duquesne’s Gumberg Library, third floor
Founded in 1878, Duquesne is consistently ranked among the nation's top Catholic universities for its award-winning faculty and tradition of academic excellence. Duquesne, a campus of nearly 10,000 graduate and undergraduate students, has been nationally recognized for its academic programs, community service and commitment to sustainability. Follow Duquesne University on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.